What corals for Biocube 29

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Mkizla, Jun 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Hey 3reef Mkizla here. I was wondering what corals can a stock lighting from a Biocube 29 gallon can handle. I really like torch, and stuffs.
    But please give me a list of all sorts of corals that I can put it in the tank.
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

pretty much everything but most sps, clams, and anemones. unless you have a metal halide HQI light. all LPS, softies, and easy sps corals are ok. and non-light requiring corals too. ie gorgs.

4. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

+1 to what Night-Rida said. You can grow Derasa Clams under the Biocube lights but it will not show all the colors (I did not know mine had green lines until I added the LED's to my Biocube. I had my Derasa for 4+ months before adding LED's so it is possible.

Did you get the HQI version? I am looking at getting it for my office upstairs and was curious to get some feedback on the refuge portion of it.

Thanks!

5. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

nah mines just regular version. How did you add LED to your tank? and how much better does it look? I really want to add LED blue lights on my biocube tank if it dosnt cost a fortune lol

Ah and im so happy to know my tank can support a clam! I always wanted a clam but always thought they needed T5 or higher light untill I found out about Derasa clam just now. I should get that soon hehe. Any advice on how to care for clams?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

you shouldnt add a clam for at least 10-12 months after starting tank. just fyi. also clams are not the easiest things to keep, they required calcium and alk to be dose or weekly water changes. I would start out with some softies or lps first.

7. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Well my tank was running from July of 09th, and now is june its been running for 11 months now. I think im in the safe range for clams now ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

congrats then on your upcoming 1st year anniversary. i believe squamosa and derasa clams are the two lowest light demanding ones.

10. AZBioCube29

AZBioCube29 Plankton

I am thinking about purchasing and starting a BioCube 29 with stock lighting. How did yours go?

11. JustIncredible

JustIncredible Astrea Snail

Food for thought...the Biocube comes stock with Power Compact lighting which is really "old" technology so don't expect corals that you see on Internet vendor web sites to look the same under your stock PC lighting, you'll be sorely disappointed as most vendors are using T5, MH/HQI or more recently LED lighting which is much more intense with MUCH higher PAR (useable light for corals to color/grow) ratings than a PC. That being said most corals should still be colorful, just not as bright/vivid and in some instances not the same color. You should be able to keep any softie, mushroom, zoanthid/palythoa, LPS and a select few hardy SPS (birdsnest, encrusting montipora, plating montipora). As far as clams go it's possible to keep them (Derasa only...I wouldn't attempt any other variety with the stock BC lighting) but they won't grow much under that lighting plus like others have said they require a lot of care as far as water supplements go. Good luck and Happy Reefkeeping!!!

1 person likes this.
  12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Well said, when I upgraded to LED there was a HUGE difference in the way my coral looked. Also my coral is growing a lot faster.