What combo of T5's should I buy?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by aw1447, Apr 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

Hey everybody.

I just got a new 4 bulb T5 fixture off ebay in w/ some LED moonlights. I'm happy with it, but the bulbs the guy sent with it don't produce the color I know it COULD.. Right now its 2 12k and 2 true actinics, both are odyssea brand. I've been checking out bulbs online and I've read a lot of good reviews on ATI bulbs, so I'm probably going to go with that brand. I'm torn over what combo of bulbs I should purchase.. So I was hoping yall could help me out with some suggestions :)

A little info on my tank.. No fish in there right now, but I have a torch, red shrooms, gsp, a few diff zoo's, and some clove xenias. I'm a beginner so I'm going to be sticking with softies and LPS for the time being..

Suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks guys.

2. Click Here!

3. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

For ATIs i would go 1 blue plus 2 aqua blue special and 1 Fiji purple

4. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

Can the ATI Aqua blue special be used to replace the 10,000K bulbs I'm running now? I saw they're 15,000K and wasn't sure what difference that would make. I'm switching my T5's out as well and was thinking of going with 3 Aqua Blue Specials, 1 Fiji Purple and 2 Blue Plus.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would suggest 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue Special and 1 ATI Purple Plus.

Placement front to back
    Blue Plus
    Aquablue Special
    Purple Plus
    Blue Plus

If you want the tank to look a little darker switch the Aquablue and Purple.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes, actually they are closer to 12000K. Your bulb selection will more to the white side, for a little more blue buy a Blue Plus in place of one of the Aquablue Specials. If you want a strong blue replace 2 of the Aquablues with Blue Pluses.

7. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

What if I were to throw in an Actinic in place of one or two of those. I'm running 3 10,000K and 3 Actinic right now. I definitely want to keep the blue spectrum but don't want to make sure I'm keeping the kind of light my corals actually need on the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You don't need to add an actinic as all of the bulbs have actinic spectrum in them.

10. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

Great, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure. So I'll go 1 aquablue special, 4 blue plus, and 1 Figi Purple?

Any suggestions on placement? Right now I have 2 actinic that turn on for 30 minutes before the rest of the lights come on then vice versa in the evening. What bulbs would be best for those two slots?

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

For a deep blue color yes

Place

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

For a deep blue color yes

Place the bulbs from front to back
    Blue Plus
    Aquablue
    Blue Plus
    Purple Plus
    Blue plus
    Blue plus

To make it bluer switch positions 2 and 5 depending on where your dawn/dusk bulbs are. Make sure the dawn/dusk positions are Blue Pluses. If you are adventurous put the purple plus in one of those spots.