What Color?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by APC, Dec 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Hey All,

Looking for opinion on what color to paint the back of my new tank? My current tank is a deep blue, and I really like it. I just got a 120 that I am going to be builidng out over the next month or so. Going to be painting the back here shortly. What color did you paint your tank back...and what do you like or dislike about it?

An example...I really like blue...but you can see the powercords for my power heads. Black would eliminate that problem, but not it is darker then blue.

Just looking to make a list of pros and cons.

Ill start a tank build thread on the 120 (yes luna...with pictures...) just as soon as I get started. I have the tank and the stand...waiting on a bunch of the other parts to arrive now.

2. Click Here!

3. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I painted mine blue, with the attics on its just to much blue.I should have went with a darker blue.I think its more of preference but if I was to do it over on this tank I would go with black.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I like blue(aqua blue) ... it just looks more like daytime ocean to me.
    I used a slightly darker blue at the bottom and fade it lighter and lighter as it gets to the top.
    One thing I like about it is the light shimmer is seen much easier so it looks like real water.
    I have a side by side comparison of what my tank looks like black and then blue. It's in my tank thread...page 3

I can deal with black but the pink coraline backgrounds I don't like at all.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  5. juliew

juliew Coral Banded Shrimp

We painted ours black & it looks great - there's a good contrast between the black & the LR.

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

If you keep blue... in my opinion it needs to be kept clean. So keep that in mind if your rocks come close or touch the back ... I left space for cleaning. Dirty blue would look bad.

7. Trigger Man

Trigger Man Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I painted mine white, with the lights on it takes on a light blue color and looks clean (also I keep it nice and clean). If I were to go with a dark color it would be to allow my fish and corals to stand out more. The light background does make the tank look brighter though.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I painted mine blue, but I don't have a problem with seeing any cords, guess it's dark enough. This has been debated on these threads before with a poll be set up at one point too. It really comes down to personal preference. I like blue because I feel it looks more natural. Others like black because they feel it makes a very good contrast with corals and the rock.

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Mines black... But mostly purple from coralline..

11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Can we see a pic?

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Yeah!............................what he said! Luna