What color LEDs should I order?

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by gabbyr189, Aug 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

So I recently posted a few threads about how I am having some problems with my LEDs. I need to replace several bulbs. I was originally going to replace them with cool and neutral whites, but now I am curious to how adding some colored bulbs would look (cyan, green, violet UV, red/orange). My tank has mostly SPS. How do these colored lights affect growth/coloration? Does anyone want to share some pictures of their tanks and what color combo's they have? A link to a good comparison (with pictures) would be great!

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

Alot of people are now using the colored LEDs its suppose to give a fuller light spectrum and make more colors pop.

My question is what is you current led set up? and how many bulbs are you looking to replace?

4. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

I am undecided, which is why I was asking ;D

I must replace 8 bulbs (because three burnt out, and I blew five of them with a multimeter..). Since I am rewiring/soldering, I may as well make all changes at once because the lights/canopy are a pain in the neck to take off the tank!

My current setup is a RapidLED build:
    - 48 Cree xp series LEDs
    - Two 14"L x 6"W heatsinks - Each have 8 XP-E royal blue, XP-E 8 blue XP-G 4 neutral white, and 4 XP-G cool white LEDs.
    - 80* optics on all.
    - Runs off 4 dimmable meanwell drivers
    - RapidLED daylight controller for dimming control and sunrise/sunset control

It may be impt to note that this is on a standard 90g tank (actually its on the floor right now lol). I am not too impressed with the colors to be honest. I switched from T5's. I loved the colors in my tank. I believe I was using two 14K, two ATI blue plus, a purple plus, and an aquablue special. I'm sure I could replicate this with LEDs, I just don't know how.

5. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Most people that are supplementing their royal blue/cool white are going with a combination of UV/cyan/green/red. Keep in mind the cyan/green are quite similar so I'd go with just one of the two, and the reds tend to dominate the other colors so go easy on those.

Also, the UV's appear dimmer than the other colors so you'll want to use enough so that they aren't washed out by the other LEDs. They will add a purple/violet tint to your lights and will usually bring out some nice color in your corals.