What causes clams to die?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by kcbrad, Jun 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Hi all,

I'm wondering what causes clams to die? I've had two die recently. The first one to die was a small maxima I had for about 10 days. Last night another small maxima I've had for months died. :( Is it possible for clams to spread disease? I'm thinking maybe the one that died first had something.

Anyways, what are some reasons clams die (not related to water quality)?

SG - 1.025
    pH - 8.3
    Ammonia - o
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 0
    Ca - 420
    Mg - 1350
    lights - Tek5 8 bulb

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

those pyramid snails?

1 person likes this.
  4. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

yeah i heard about them, they are like really really light colored small snail, and eats the clam, and lays tons of eggs in the clam. I hear you gotta look real close to catch those tiny snails

1 person likes this.
  5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Hmmm I did read about those, but I inspected both clams thoroughly and didn't see any sign of pyramid snails.

1 person likes this.
  6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I'm sorry to hear that KC, that stinks :(. I'm not sure that clams can fall under the random death area like gonio, xenia, bubble corals. I think it's possible for things to die suddently depending on how they were harvested or acclimated, I trust you acclimated them perfectly though so not sure what it was.

Do you dose ALK, CA, & MG at all or use any additives?

1 person likes this.
  7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Sorry to hear this Kacy :(

Wish I had an explanation or some thoughts but I know nothing about clams.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I haven't been dosing since my numbers are fine. The only additive I use is Coral-Vite.

I would normally accept just random death, but I think it's strange how the two died so close in time to one another.

10. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

sometimes systems just cant handle an organism. For some reason ive never been able to keep green star polyps.... and their considered really easy...

1 person likes this.
  11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

yeah, i think that's strange too and would guess it's something about the tank or your acclimation... how did you acclimate?

I did like this:

while waiting for clam, I filled a 5 gallon with RO water, heated it to match DT and buffered to match pH.

I floated the clam for temp acclimation. I then put it in the FW for 18 minutes.

I then put it directly from the FW to the DT, burped it, placed it up high under my T5's.

I got that advise from one amcarrig (who I trust) and it worked perfectly for me and is now how I advise acclimating.

So if you acclimated any other way, I might suspect that and try again this way... if it fails again, I'd quit getting clams (like I have quit getting birds nest!)

good luck.

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I tend to agree somewhat with phoenix, for instance my xenia died after a few months while others can't stop it from spreading. I do think there is a unique chemistry to everyone's tank that can dictate what will thrive and what may not.

You know what you're doing KC so I think it may be linked specifically to the individual clams perhaps. Were both clams from the same vendor? Not to give the vendor bad press, just checking.

Another question is, do clams slowly die like nems, where they rarely show signs of distress until it's too late?

1 person likes this.