Urgent What caused this? What can I do?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by eddy38, Mar 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eddy38

eddy38 Spaghetti Worm

This morning my frogspawn is just letting go from the base. It has been healthy and fully extended until now. It seems the fleshy part is still extended, it just let go.
    I don't know what caused it, or if there is anything I can do. Will the parts that came off just dye now? or can they live somewhere else?
    I am soooo upset!!!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. VitalApparatuz

VitalApparatuz Feather Duster

could it be splitting (growing) ?

4. eddy38

eddy38 Spaghetti Worm

If it is, what do I do with the fleshy bits coming off?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

That is called "polyp bail out". If you google it you will get more information.

Still controversy over cause, and survivability of the polyp.

6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Looks like polyp bailout.

Could be brought on by stress.

7. VitalApparatuz

VitalApparatuz Feather Duster

Wow Ive never even heard of that.Thanks for the info ! Sorry for the bad info Eddy38 :(

I would be dying to stick it back on its skeleton..

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I've only seen bailout like this caused by too much flow.

10. eddy38

eddy38 Spaghetti Worm

I have moved it out of the flow, which was only the regular pump, not even a power head. The one whole section has come off, I can only hope the other head stays put.
    The fleshy sections that came off, I have just put in holes in the live rock to see if they attatch.

11. macon77

macon77 Fire Worm

I am absolutely not an LPS expert, but I have a bit of experience with mushrooms. Something similar happens with mushrooms (mushrooms frequently "jump"). I think mushrooms do this, at least in part, as a reproductive strategy. Unfortunately, in your case, the critter may not have "wanted" to jump. It may have done so out of discomfort.

Why I am posting here is to offer a possible approach as you proceed. I take the "jumpers" and put them in a cup (a short one is preferred) with some rock rubble. This offers a haven for them, in which they can take their sweet time about "grabbing on" again. They are in much less danger than if they are just floating about loose, or if they can be disturbed by other critters passing by. As the euphyllia might prefer less current, this may be a reasonable approach for you. I am not sure if this helps, but, I thought I would present the thought.

12. morninwood

morninwood Bristle Worm

Same thing happened to my frogspawn. It happened when I was moving live rock around and let it get some air or I poked it too hard with my finger. Give it some time. It should come back out. Be careful though, the tentacles can fall out very easily. Funny thing is that this happened to the same color frogspawn as yours.