what can i put in my 28 gallon hex tank?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by spongebob, Dec 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. spongebob

spongebob Flamingo Tongue

1419123062767.jpg my ex girlfriend gave me a 55 gallon with large African cichlids in it and its 28 gallon hex with baby cichlids in it so I consolidated the tanks and put all the cichlids in the 55 and now I have the 28th then I need to put fish in. I had a small 2 inch 3 inch clown tang that was beating up my 6 inch hippo Tang so I captured him in a fish trap and put him in the hex but I just bought a 2 inch citron tang and a 4 inch Nassau tang that I put in there and I know before you beat me up you're not supposed to put a bunch of tangs together but i did it on my 125 and it worked out. I also have a hundred twenty five gallon reef tank that I can move them to you when they get bigger. Do you think this is going to be a problem of course I'm going to watch them. They seem to be getting along fine now and swimming around a lot oh the tank also has two clown fish and 2fre fish in it and 1 small watchman goby now there's a bunch of live rock in the center of the tank with a bunch of caves and stuff in it for them to hide and play in.

2. Click Here!

3. spongebob

Before anyone gives me a hard time my phone I posted on was acting up and had trouble proof reading the post. Its my 28 gallon not 28th and fire fish not fire fish lol

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I'm not sure any tang belongs in that. I would stick with clowns, dartfish, cardinals, gobies etc.

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Tangs even when young need a bigger tank because they need the swimming room.

6. spongebob

Really that bums me out even the little cetron tang he is only two inches. They are swimming around and looking good. Iwas planing on moving them to the 125 when they get bigger :-(

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Upgrade the tank first then add appropriate fish or you/your animals will suffer.

mdbostwick and DSC reef like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I assume you mean Chevron Tang? If so, both Tangs get too large to house permanently in a 125 IMO. Chevron would be borderline, but I wouldn't keep a Naso in anything less than an 8' long tank long term. There are plenty of options for Tangs for a 125, just do you research first :)

DSC reef likes this.
  10. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

I will leave the tang comments for the tang police, as for the hex I would do a pair of clowns and LPS or nems. I would look into a upgrading your filtration.

mdbostwick and DSC reef like this.