What can I do to encourage coraline algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by rewris, May 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rewris

rewris Skunk Shrimp

So from what I understand, you can have live rock, but it's not "live" unless it's got coraline algae, which comes in many colors.

I started looking into this a couple weeks ago, and asked the lady @ my LFS, she suggested Purple Up, which is supposed to encourage purple coraline algae.

I've been using it since about last wednesday and yesterday I saw a blotch of purple on one of my rocks. I called someone to confirm if I was seeing what I was, cause I'm colorblind, and I was indeed right.

Now, I don't know if it's the purple up helping, of if that was there before and I'm only now seeing it cause I know I'm pouring that stuff in.

What's the deal with coraline? Besides the nice color, what else does it do to benefit the tank? How long will it take to spread, considering if my water chemistry is right? How much of a positive effect would my light have on it? (T5s)

2. Click Here!

3. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I would leave the purple up alone for now TIME is the best additive for coraline algae growth. Keeping your levels up , adding some nice LR with some good coraline algae growing on it already and just some time. One tip I can offer is I would scrape some coraline off of the nice LR I am suggesting you get this way the algae spores are distributed around your tank.

4. Guy340

Guy340 Plankton

I'm not an expert, but I think:

1) It takes time for the purple stuff (coraline algae) to grow.
    2) Beneficial because since the coraline algae is present, it helps prevent nuisance algae from growing in those locations.
    3) Patience.

5. z.vernon

z.vernon Bristle Worm

from what i hear purple up is mostly a marketing gimmick.. i just keep levels up.. sometimes a shorter light cycle will help.

1 person likes this.
  6. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

This is false.

While coralline is nice to have, and beneficial in that it competes with nuisance algae for real estate on LR; to say that LR isn't live unless coralline is on it simply isn't the case.

What makes LR live, is the bacteria that live mostly inside the porous surfaces, and on the outside of the rock. Also, live critters from the ocean, like crabs, 'pods and sponges also contribute to the "live" aspect of LR. Not coralline. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I curse coralline algea right now! :furious3:

I have to scrape my tank almost daily to get that crud off my glass! Then when I scrape it, it goes into my tank and grows more. I have to remove all my powerheads at least monthly to soak off the coraline in vinegar!

I was told this once and I said probably what you will say ;D, awe...it is so pretty and really gives good color to my tank and rocks, plus it is good for the tank!

Now I cant keep my calcium levels up because of that stuff!

But honestly, good calcium in your tank and some rock with coralline on it is the best way to seed it. Purple Up is just a gimmick and you have to have good coraline growth already for it to do anything...if it does anything. You can speed it by scraping some coraline off the rock in front of a powerhead so the spores will distribute in the tank. The other thing you need is patience...you too can curse coralline! ::)

plus coralline doesnt make live rock live...it is the beneficial bacteria and pods and such living in the rock that makes it "live"

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Mine really exploded when I got my Ca, Alk, Mg levels to 400, 12, 1400 respectively... I am fairly sure it had more to do w/the Mg levels... I dose with Bulk Reef Supply 2-part.

I HATE it. I thought I wanted it when I first started... now it's just a PITA that won't stop. AAAGGGGHHHHH

Agreed +1

LOL +1

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Using Purple up will increase your iodine levels, which can cause a tank crash if you don't have animals that use iodine regularly (ie. inverts). As stated, getting your Ca, Mg and Alk in line will get it started. You also have to maintain undetectable levels of PO4 and NO3 for coralline to grow. I have my levels at 480, 1500, and 14 now. The stuff looks pretty at first, but when it starts clogging up your powerheads and your overflow, you will be finding yourself wanting to nuke it to the ground!
    Purple up won't "create" coralline, it just helps adjust your levels into the desireable range, but with the iodine that I mentioned above. I use Purple Tech by Kent weekly to maintain my levels(it does not contain any iodine), since I have a clam that needs those levels in check. Also, "if you dose it, you better test it." :)

11. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

IMO just leave it. I have some and its grows like a damn weed. Like schackmel said... cleaning it is a pain. I am actually worried about it over taking all my rock. its been 4 months since my setup and it looks good in the beginning but now im thinking if my entire tank is pink and purple it will look dumb.... if you build it, it will come.... heh

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Bingo... it's marketing gimmick. The name catches salt water newbies attention. It has what is needed for coraline to but, if your tank is fairly new you are probably getting all you need from your salt. Keep your mag, calcium at proper levels with other cheaper means such as epsom salt and pickling lime and or calcium chloride.