What Can I Do Now?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ThirstyDuck, Feb 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ThirstyDuck

ThirstyDuck Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

only two of the tangs are new the other two were in the 55

2. Click Here!

3. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

You still added them to the 90, right. that is a big load to throw on a new tank. It takes time to have a full tank.

4. ThirstyDuck

I thought by adding all the old sub, LR, and water that It would'nt be like starting a new tank.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

That's true to some extent, but if would be equivalent to adding the two new tangs to the 55. You still need time between adding livestock for the bacteria on the rock to grow to compensate for the increased bioload. It sounds like that is what happened, you added the two fish too quickly and now your tank needs to catch up.

6. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

You still nearly doubled your tank size. your tank has to create the bacteria to eat the waste and break it down in time. I dont know if cc can carry the proper bacteria like sand does. I know most people dont use it. Adding your live rock is fine, but your old substrate was full of crap if you didnt wash it out. So when you added it to the new tank it all got stirred up. And is messing up your params. including your skimmer isnt working well, half the live rock you need, your live rock also helps keep water clean. And if cc dont carry the proper bacteria, its no wonder that your params are off. they are going to get worse if you dont do something soon. that many tangs are goin to pollute and wipe your tank out. Dont worry we are all still learning. thats why this hobby is fun. its a never ending story.

7. ThirstyDuck

Should I do a water change more often to help keep the tank from getting too polluted? I'm hoping I can ride this out without losing anything.

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

No. Water changes is prolonging this and making it worse. The tank needs to be able to deal with this on its own.
    You have two choices: Get the rock and skimmer in order properly and let the tank catch up and establish itself, or get rid of at least half of your fish. There is no way of "patching" your situation.

10. ThirstyDuck

I'm going to try to Mod the Seaclone. I found a thread on how to do it. I'll do that today. Hopefully that will buy me some time. I will get some more rock tomorrow. Should I stage putting more rock in?

11. convict3

convict3 Astrea Snail

as far as a new skimmer id look in to the octopus extreme series ,under 300.00 for the best bang for your buck, the 160 has a small footprint how much room is in your sump fir a skimmer?