What are your regional foods?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by inwall75, May 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Most people know about Dr. Pepper soda, Gooey Butter Cake, and Ice Cream Cones being introduced in St. Louis. However, we have a lot of other things from our town you've might not know about.

Brain Sandwiches (yep, you read that right. I don't think it needs more description)
    Toasted Ravioli. If you ever eat toasted ravioli with red sauce, you'll never eat regular ravioli again.
    Slingers. This one requires some explaining.
    SOURCE: Wikipedia
    Pork Steaks. This is often called pork butt but it's really muscle from the shoulder and as a result it's VERY tough and butchers around the country throw away this meat. There are many ways to make this meat very tender and that's local to St. Louis (although it's spreading).
    St. Louis Style Pizza. Another item that's spreading. The differences from other cities is that it's always thin crust and instead of using Mozzarella cheese, Provel cheese is used.
    St. Paul Sandwich.
    SOURCE: Wikipedia
    Crispy Snoots. You don't want to know. LOL (Basically you grill pig noses until crispy, then you dip it in BBQ sauce.
    Ted Drewe's Concretes. This is a frozen custard that always wins awards on various cooking shows. One can turn their cup upside down and eat the whole thing without it falling out. With that said, it's soft....nothing like ice cream.

What are your regional foods?

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Fried Cod's Tongue
    Seal Flipper
    Moose 1001 different ways.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Cod's tongue......mmmmm, mmmmm, good. LOL

Welcome to 3Reef!!!

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Those are "my people's" food..... I like Cheesecake factor!

My Grandma loved Cod's Head Stew..... I was a vegan for 10 years O.O

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The "Fat" Sandwiches - Nearly anything that you can deep fry, on a sandwich. Usually with other stuff thrown in for good measure.
    Real Pizza - Nowhere else compares to this area; you guys just don't have the water for it.
    Manhattan Clam Chowder - Screw Boston!
    Saltwater taffy - Local to the jersey shore.
    M & Ms - another jersey-originated "food".
    Taylor ham - more local awesome.
    Italian ices - we pwn the italian recipes hxc.
    DINERS - You will never have as many diners as us.

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Chizzlin~ cubed venison. Salted and peppered then fried.

Any possible combonation of beef and potatoe/corn you could possibly ever imagine.

My personal favorite~ Cabbage Rolls~ hamburger fried and broke down into little pieces. Throw in a couple cups of chopped cabbage. Wrap portions in bread dough making making them baseball size. Brush the whole 'ball' with melted butter. Bake til the cabbage is soft and the bread is golden brown.

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Now I'm STARVING! Thanks Curt! LOL

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

LOL. I am going to google those cabbage rolls though. That sounds awesome.

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

hmmm, brain sandwiches....glad I brought my lunch from HOME today...a reheated hamburger much better then a brain sandwiches.....
    I do love pork steaks though
    Curt you forgot the heart-attack waiting to happen sandwich at one of the minor league ballparks by us....2 krispy creme glazed doughnuts with...wait for it........ hamburger with cheese between the 2 doughnuts :-X

I love watching the man v food shows on food channel to watch all the weird stuff he tries and on the local food from the various areas!

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I'll go through a couple of my regional favorites:

Key West (Where I was born, yes I'm a true "saltwater conch"): Seafood!! Any and all crustaceans, snails and most fish.

VA: Nothing really regional here but I love good southern food. Mustard and vinegar BBQ, greens etc...

Puerto Rico: Arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon peas), carne guisado, arroz y pulpo (rice with baby octopus in ink sauce), tostones, mango verde y sal y otras cosas!