What are your reefing pet peeves?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ibefishy, Jan 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

LoL!! :hehe:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Trying to glue/cement a frag in place and it won't stay.

4. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

(this is my other people pet peeve)
    People who ONLY impulse buy, and never understand what they're getting before it's at home in their tank, unquarantined. Self control is a good thing.
    I understand most people will impulse buy once in a while, myself included, but I never buy anything if I don't know what it is and understand the care requirements already.

(my own pet peeves, or maybe just stupid things I do)
    My skimmer on my new tank is sensitive to the water level in the sump and I constantly forget this and turn off the return pump while the skimmer is running, or I lower the water level in my overflow which fills the sump up as well and then my skimmer starts overflowing because water level raises in the skimmer body with the added backpressure on the outflow pipe.

I also had a bad habit when I was setting up my new tank system where I would have to straighten the locline on my return to get it through a hole in the back of the canopy, but then I would forget that it was straightened out and later I would test the return pump and water would end up shooting straight out and blast the front of the canopy, or worse straight out the front of the canopy onto the floor because it was open. I did each one of those once, then I finally learned my lesson. :)

Cleaning the glass, I hate it. I got a brand new Pirhana mag float which is actually taking away some of the pain, it's still a hassle though. I hate coralline on the glass most, obnoxious stuff.

2 part dosing manually, also hate it. It wouldn't be bad if I only had to dose once or twice a week but I have to do it every single day to keep the params stable, it's getting old. It used to be worse when I had to dose it manually twice a day to keep the alk stable.

Pumps freezing up from calcium carbonate precipitate on the drive shaft after only a month or two of use.

Color-matching on test kits. I seriously would pay $5-10 more per kit if they could make one that was actually easy to read.

OK, I have a lot of pet peeves, and that's not even all of them. Maybe I'm just good at complaining :D

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: Best peeve EVER :lol:

6. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Here's my list:
    1. Seeing threads of reefers who've never even read reefkeeping 101
    2. Snails knocking over corals
    3. Algae growing on the sand and glass
    4. Keeping up with evaporation and R/O water
    5. Messy LFS's:angry:
    6. Having to carry 5 gal water jugs
    7. Not being able to find a fish or invert that's docile, reef friendly and eats mantis shrimps!;D
    That's my list. but honestly the worst is walking into a messy fish store!! That really makes me sick especially when the owner is sitting there reading the newspaper!:angry:

7. lfckenya

lfckenya Spaghetti Worm

ok......read the entire post....and no-ones mentioned:
    1)SPILLING SKIMATE......absolutely infuriates me.
    2)in the age prior to ATO's, getting up in the middle of the night to top off h2o.
    3) have to agree with fat greedy tang ripping up seaweed and watching it go down the overflow.
    4) waiting patiently for 20 mins, with my hand in the tank, to ward of damn scavengers as i feed my acans.....then my tang picking it out when it was 90% down the acan mouth (in the 2 seconds i turned around because my gf was saying i spend waaaaay too much time on the tank and should show her the same love, diligence, attention...)...and then SPITTING IT OUT!!!!!!!! .....wooosah....woooosah......breathe breathe..........ok, ok,......im okay now.......

8. Click Here!

9. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

OMW that metaphorically drives me nuts!! As in,

"The orchestra literally fell apart."
    "He's literally tearing my heart out by not saying he loves me." Or when it's not even needed- "We literally sat down for dinner."

But what really gets on my nerves are midgets and people w/ lisps lol...

10. lfckenya

lfckenya Spaghetti Worm

32boom....what would happen if you literally met a midget with a lisp? :D

11. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

Oops. By "midgets and people w/ lisps" I really meant to say "critters that steal food from LPS" get on my nerves; it's on topic.

I guess lisps and midgetry bug me to tho (if that's offensive I'm JK-ing).

And my 1st grade teacher Mrs. Clars said that "CH makes the 'CHuh' sound" so I say chay-toe.:cheesy:

12. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

When I read that part I about fell off my chair:laughcry:. It wasnt until I read further down the explanation of it. Still very funny. Kind of off topic but the Randy Newman song "Short People" came to mind.YouTube - Randy Newman - Short People

1 person likes this.