What are we doing wrong?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by LeslyeC, Oct 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

after reading your post i am not sure what type of lights you have two blue ones and two really bright white ones could be anywhere from pc to halides.

my first thought is your lights were not right for the anem and clam.

if it were me when the lights are off take a picture of your bulbs and post them so we can get a look and maybe figure out what you have. wither that or look on the buld themselves and post for us please.

i would hate to have you do everything in the advice given and end up back in the same place due to lights that are not right for what you are looking for.

remember this we all started somewhere and gathered are information from trial and error and our own research.

2. Click Here!

3. TahoeMtn

TahoeMtn Flamingo Tongue

Glad you ordered the refractometer, I think you are going to find your salt is off. Also remember that clams and anemone are for well established tanks. LFS's will sell you anything so it will be very important to read before you buy and if nothing else ask here before you buy.

You are now well on your way to your own piece of the ocean. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby go slow. Think twice before you buy.

4. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I see from the info you gave your using a Rena cannister filter.I use a similar one,except its made by Fluval.I found that after some time you need to remove the hoses and clean them.Flushing them out with a garden hose worked well for me,kind of like backflushing a car radiator system.Idid this and it flushed out a lot of built up waste(that can cause nitrates),also rinse out the shut off valve.This doesnt have to be done with every filter cleaning,but every six months or so would be good.To clean your media,the stuff in the baskets you can just rinse it well in tank water when doing a water change.You dont need to replace it,and cleaning it this way will save the good bacteria thats living in it.Hope this helps!! Dave

5. jzenob

jzenob Coral Banded Shrimp

Can you please post pics of your lighting and tank???

6. LeslyeC

LeslyeC Plankton

I've taken pictures of my aquarium and some pictures of the lights themselves. Now I am going to figure out how to get them on here. Y'all will be glad that I've chosen saltwater aquariums as my hobby and not photography!

7. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Whisky Tango Foxtrot Skunk Shrimp

I dont think anyone gave you and explanation of a skimmer yet. Skimmers, well, skim the water of oils and waste. They use a pump and a large amounts of tiny air bubbles that attract such particles and lift them to the surface to create a nasty foam. That foam builds upon itself and usually overflows into a collection cup that is emptied often. From what I understand, you may not have one and should look into purchasing a unit.It will help greatly!

You can find some decent hang-on-back skimmers online for a good price such as a remora. Id recommend them because of their east setup and can be used cramped tank arrangements.