What are we doing wrong?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by LeslyeC, Oct 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I was thinking it was probably the light acclimation. What he means by light acclimation and given your response are two different things. Your "fish guy" suggested 1 hour for fish and coral acclimation, which is up for debate, but what we mean by light acclimation is, for instance, if you were sitting in your basement for 3 years with only a few lights on (which is likely what you had on the old lighting) and then came outside, you need to do it slowly. If you spent 10 hours in the sun (especially in Texas) you're likely going to burn, hurt your eyes among other things. Your corals are similar. You took out the old "dim" lights and blasted them with new ones. When light acclimating, only turn the new ones on for a little bit at a time at the start. Then over the course of a few weeks develop a regular schedule for the new lights once the corals are used to how bright they are.

Hope that helps.

2. Click Here!

3. LeslyeC

LeslyeC Plankton

This is test strips. I do see the corresponding number now. (sorry) and it looks like between 160 and 200. Headed to the store to look for the API liquid test kit.

4. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

What kind of lights are they?

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

it will be a good idea to have your lights on an automatic timer (8.99 for a basic one at Walgreens). It will be easier.

Agreed - test strips are paramount to guessing.

To each their own speed... I've been in the hobby for a year and still haven't dared a clam ;) I will one day though

Agreed on the feeding recommendation. 1 cube can easily last you a week with just those fish. (I would cut it in half and use them a few days a part).

Future reference - 3reefers want exact test results ;) the liquid tests should give you these.

To test salinity you can use a hydrometer or a refractometer. It costs more, but a refractometer is much easier, cleaner, and precise than a hydrometer.

These are the test kits folks are referring to (they're about $20 each on the internet)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. LeslyeC

LeslyeC Plankton

I just bought the Saltwater Master Test kit that's in the picture. i didn't see the reef one, but that would certainly be helpful! doing a nitrate test right now. Still in the 5 minute window, but it's pretty orange so far, and that's not too good, I don't think.

7. LeslyeC

LeslyeC Plankton

The nitrate level is 80 using the water test method that I just did.

8. Click Here!

9. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

first things first.

cut back on feedings.

please tell us about your clean up crew (they help break things down). Your snails and hermit crabs. You will probably need more.

I think you said you just did a water change? I would do 5-10 gallons at least once a week for a while.

do you have a canister filter? if you do, I would unhook it. it probably is very very dirty.

do you have a protein skimmer? I got the impression no. pictures of your tank and maybe the stuff hooked up to it would be real helpful. You will need a protein skimmer. This should be high on the list in terms of spending money, IMO.

I would advise not adding any fish or corals until we get your nitrates under control. Looking forward to hearing your ammonia and nitrite results once you can get those.

11. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

That is quite high,too high for fish, and definetely too high for corals.Nitrates will continue to build up over the life of your tank unless removed by partial water changes or natural means.Some others might chime in,but IMO, I think it would be good to do a fifty percent water change followed by smaller ones,maybe twenty percent, until your nitrate levels come down.A reading of 20ppm is pretty normal.As close to zero as possible is better but this is difficult to reach with new systems or with one having a problem such as yours.With a little patience and some work you can turn things around though.I would do the water changes once or twice a week to accomplish this.

12. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Have you told us what kind of lights you have yet?