What are these white spots?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by GuitarMan89, Mar 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have this Montipora capricornis, I've had it for about 10 weeks now. It has started to grow, but today I noticed these white spots on it. I don't think it's bleaching because I only have it under 4 x 54w T5s, although I guess it could be potentially. My other guess is that it is growing new plates or appendages. This is my first experience with this so I wanted to get other's opinions. Thanks. Sorry for the blury picture, but I think it should work.

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

You could have moni eating nudibranchs.

4. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

That could be it, but I've had a monti digitata before for about 4 months with no problem, and I have had this frag for about 10 weeks with no problems, I don't know if they go into hybernation. I haven't added anything for about 2 months. I guess it could, I will look into it.

6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Well, I hope it isn't the Nudis but it could be. Looks like the frag isn't attached to anything so you may want to take it out and look at it under a magnifying glass. I've never had them but I remember seeing the thread above a few weeks ago. I hadn't even herad of them before that.

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I just looked up some info on the monti eating nudibranches. They can survive without eating for months. So I guess there is a potential that they have been in there the entire time.

I have also just inspected the coral closely and have not seen anything on it or around it. So I guess I will just have to see what happens. Anything other advice or suggestion are greatly appreciated.

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Here is a thread with some good info. Monti eating Nudis - zeovit.com

Also check on the underside they supposedly hide there during the day. Looks like there are some wrasses that can keep them under control. I found halichoeres iridis (radiant wrasse) mentioned several times. Amsterdam reef (zeovit) - e-Coralia Nice tank pics in that link.

1 person likes this.
  10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I just dipped it in some lugols solution. I didn't see anything come off of it. I used a turkey baster to make sure there was good contact. I used a paper cup and there was nothing that fell of it. So I will just see what happens.

11. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Good luck. Keep us posted.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Well I think they are monti eating nudis. I looked this morning and the white spots have gotten bigger. So my cap is basically gone. I also had a superman monti that wasn't affected yet, so I examined it, dipped it in lugols and traded it to a buddy to hold on to. (This was actually kind of good because it wasn't coloring up under my lights) So I guess I will just wait a while before adding any new montis.