What are These Tiny Bubbles???

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Chris Jones, May 31, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

The return line to my tank appears to be injecting tiny tiny bubbles into the tank. :eek:It kinda looks like tiny suspended particles, not in great numbers but I am noticing them. what is going on and is this normal??? :-/

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hi Ben,

Don't think they are normal, and not something you or your fish need to live with...

If not coming from improperly setup skimmer, look for any "falling" water source in sump, i.e. external filter, flow over baffles, etc...

I get "millions" when I sometimes run a extra filter which hangs on side of sump...so I only use once in a while, and only at night...my fish do not like it a bit and all run and hide when it comes on if I ever flip on during light period.

Thats where I would look...

Rgds,

OmarD

4. Chris Jones

Why yes I do have bubbles comming over my baffle. last night i stared at that end of me refugium and noticed that when that end is shallow relative to the refug, big bubbles slide down and under my pump. the blades must chop them up, so i moved my return pump and it lessened, but could a failing impeller create cavitation on the blade edges and send them out too???
    i'm asking because it is a used pump that i got with the tank, and this morning it was loud so i unplugged it and plugged it back in and it got quieter. i think im going to get a new impeller.

does anyone know where to get RIO replacement impellers??

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Before you go off and buy anything new try and use a fiber pad and lay it close to the pumps intake to stop any bubbles going into it and watch the out put into the tank. if no bubble then it's not your pump.
    If this is the case then DIY something around your intake on the pump or change the way the water gets to the pump by diverting it to the other side closer to the skimmer.
    Where is you skimmer dumping it's water? Is it close to the pump? If so divert it else where.

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Ben Dover link=board=Filters;num=1086062578;start=0#2 date=06/01/04 at 06:12:27]Why yes I do have bubbles comming over my baffle. last night i stared at that end of me refugium and noticed that when that end is shallow relative to the refug, big bubbles slide down and under my pump. (snip) [/quote]

Consider putting in another baffle. From what I read you have water cascading over one baffle, put in another baffle ( only an inch or two away ) that has a gap at the bottom so the water is forced to flow under it.

John

7. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Good advice ... Heres some more dont replace it with another RIO!
    try a mag pump theyre quiet and almost never fail

8. Click Here!

9. Chris Jones

Well Nug, they came free, along with the whole tank. as a matter of fact, i got 2 rio 2500's, 1 rio 2100, and a little rio 600, so i dont look the gift tank in the mouth. however, if i ever buy one, i would definately buy a mag, for sure. but if an impeller for 10-15 bucks would save this one, i would do it. it is not that noisy to me. Advice noted.

10. Chris Jones

John, you have sparked the improvement to my next refugium about a low outlet to reduce bubbles for the final baffle. unfortunatly, the 10 gallon doesnt offer much room to maneuver. the discharge of the skimmer does contain tiny bubbles in addition to those created comming over the last partition. needless to say, the sump end of my fuge is oxygen rich to say the least.

So again dave comes through with a viable solution. i surrounded the pump with a curtain of the blue washable filter material and it has all but eliminated the problem. On top of it as always dave.
    thanks for all the input. much appreciated.

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Why thanks Chris.
    One thing you may need to consider is the way you place the filter pad so it does not clog the intake of the pump.
    Another suggestion (if bubbles are coming from skimmer) to roll up the filter pad and put this on the exit pipe of the skimmer and use rubber bands to keep it in place. Make it long enough to touch or go into the water about 2 inches or so. This will baffle the bubbles out of the water.