What are these called?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Giovanni, Jul 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnightmare

Midnightmare Plankton

Keeping that fish would be mandarin murder.

2. Click Here!

3. iCashew

iCashew Astrea Snail

Take that Mandarin back to your LFS, it will die in your take. It is not big enough and does not have enough pods to keep him fed and happy.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

...+1 to what everybody else has said. Your fish store was wrong to even sell you a mandarin dragonet.

Did you take the starfish from the ocean?

Dangit, research, research, research.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  5. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

Yeah, just take it back while it still has a chance.

The star probably wasn't a good idea either. Idk what to do with that

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Actually, no. It has been sold as a "mandarinfish" and a "goby" for many years, but it has always been scientifically categorized as a dragonette.

1 person likes this.
  7. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

If it is from FL it is probably a spiny common sea star. Looks like one at least, the colors are variable check here for reference:
    New Page 1

Hard to keep in a 20g.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Astrea Snail

Ok so going on week 2 (15th day) that my 20g is up and running... Mandarin is doing well (6 days in tank so far). It is lively and tends to like hanging out behind the LR in the back right corner of my tank. And i just noticed some stuff on my LR that i hadn't noticed before... I have deep purple spots growing on them... Its not gooey or soft... its just kinda there. But very pretty color. It kinda glows in my tank, inda like as if a black light were on it. Very deep but bright purple... any ideas?

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Astrea Snail

Oh and the starfish I've had since my 5g... so a grand total of about 2 1/2 months I've had them... They are doing great as well... they tend to hang out with eachother too... (I have a friends as well... His tank sprung a leak. His is a 39g)

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sounds a lot like coralline algae to me.

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

The problem with Mandarins is that they will live for months until they finally starve to death.
    Your tank is probably getting depleted of the pods it has.. then the real starving will begin. Right now you cant say its doing well because you just introduced him...

I had 1 mandarin on my 150G and he ate all day, at every single minute of the day..
    we are not telling you that the mandarin might have a chance.. he WILL starve to death unless you are willing to feed him a bottle of pods per day. ( even if he is trained to eat frozen, he still needs the pods to graze on for the rest of the day due to their high metabolism)..

we are not telling you to return the fish because we are trying to be mean.. it is on your best interest for you to return it and get credit back before it dies on you and you lose the money you spent on him. ( plus it will probably save its life.. granted your LFS doesnt sell it to someone inexperienced again.. NO offense)