What are these called?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Giovanni, Jul 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Astrea Snail

[​IMG]
    What kind of Duster is this?

[​IMG]
    What kind of starfish is this?
    [​IMG]
    And last but not least... What is this guys name. I saw him at the LFS and thought he was cool looking so i bought him.

2. Click Here!

3. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

The first two idk. the last one is a mandarin goby and man I hate to say this but you kinda messed up. I will add on in a min.

4. saltyfresh

Before I say you messed up let me get a back ground how big of a tank. How old is it. And do you have cope pods. And last but not least a fuge?

5. Kristiavi

Kristiavi Coral Banded Shrimp

Oh my, im not going to be the first person to tell you this but you need to take the Mandarin Goby back to the store and never buy a fish unless you do your research first! Mandarin Goby's are very high maintance fish and not for the beginner. They require large amounts of copepods to eat and only do well in large established tanks. They will dwindle a copepod population in a small tank very quickly and starve to death. Hopefully you can get your money back for him.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  6. saltyfresh

Ya I mean that is the only way to go. You have to know what you are buying before you buy it. And the Lfs should not sell it to you if they do not know what your tank is like and they should of at least told you the name.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

The Mandarin has very special dietary needs. If you don't have a large tank with a good pod population, your best bet is to return it. Some have been able to train them to eat specially prepared foods, and of those, many decided it wasn't worth the effort.

As for the first one, that's just a common feather duster.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Astrea Snail

It is a 20g tank been running for about 1-1 1/2 weeks. I know i know so soon, however. I transfered everything from my 5g and the other 12g added some of the other that I had set aside from about 2 months and got tests, and my uncle is a freak for this stuff and is shocked at how well it is doing... I have copepods all over the back wall of my tank as I can see them moving around... What is a fuge? As far as i kno i dont have it. He has been good so far and hes been in there for 2 days... I explained my setup to the fish store and they said it wasn't ideal but it would suffice.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Astrea Snail

Thak you Mr. Bill... I just figured it had its own name cuz i see the red flare duster and the hawaiian dusters... none of the ones i have ever seen were solid burgundy.

11. saltyfresh

I mean I have mine in a 65g display tank with 20 gallon fuge. And I culture my own pods. AND HE EATS Frozen Mysis. This guy is doing good. My tank has been up 6 months and I rushed it. Many will tell me I am doing it wrong but with me breeding pods and a big fuge. I have plenty food.

Btw. Fuge is a remote area free of predators for things to bread and what not

12. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Possibly a spotted linkia. Research, research, research! If this is what it is, it is most likely more doomed than the mandarin. Primary diet is believed to be very specific sponges.

Bad LFS, BAD!