What are some of the best reef safe fish?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by jeffers0n, May 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i do not take offense, i respect you and your opinion. i do not wish to get on your bad side as well

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

And that states it all. I am sorry, if you feel belittled- I do not follow your threads, or what ever, but my tanks are what they are, happy and healthy reefs- you are welcome to come see them- any time before 11pm, I have nothing to hide- I am here to learn that which I do not know, and to teach that which I do know- from personal experience- that which I can prove from doing, not from reading what others have either had failure or sucess.

As I always say- nothing is set in stone except the big three.

water quality
    lighting
    feeding

4. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I don't have it but my buddy dose I told him and he said never it would never work and I take every word he says and I believ it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Depends on the size if the tank. If a tank is too small for a breed of fish, what are considered "reef safe" may start nipping due to boredom or just being aggravated.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

6. MyBoyGus

MyBoyGus Flamingo Tongue

I think I got lucky. They have a high mortality rate, mainly (from what I've read) because of the difficulty of getting them to eat, and the fact that they all come in with parasites and intestinal worms. My LFS has a supplier that they have been dealing with on this type of wrasse that they have had very good luck with. They treat for parasites and worms, and I do too.

They are only supposed to reach 4-6 inches. They are all born female, and the cool thing is many times the dominant one will change to a male. With a big coloration difference.

These three began eating right away. I feed mysis and Rod's Original. The Meleagris, which is the black and white one, even eats the seaweed I put in for my Kole Tang.

NEW PIC WITH POTTERS!
    [​IMG]

7. Hydronaut

Hydronaut Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I agree. As a longtime member of MFK where the topic of overstocking comes up on a daily basis (and the FW folks tend to do it way more than the typically more experienced SW folks, think 5 silver aro's in a 300, etc), it is my opinion that as long as the fish are kept healthy, well-fed, disease free, and good water conditions are maintained, then no harm, no foul.

Overstocking arguments always seem to end up in a flame war, so it is better to quit while you are ahead. To each, his own.

8. Click Here!

9. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I agree what works for one may not work for others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

These remind me very much of the Red Jewles I used to keep in my FW days- very nice. :)

11. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I personally think that many of the "tang police" came to be because of noobs buying up 4-5 tangs and putting them in a 55 gallon tank when they are small and wonder why they don't do well... these folks were teaching people what's NOT ok and it got out of hand...

An experienced hobbyist will normally outweigh the non-expereienced.

I would have no problem keeping a few tangs in my 120 gallon... I prefer just one because they can be difficult... I have a good one and I'd rather not take my chances adding more to the fray because of diseases and competition for food, among other reasons...

Also, while I have seen very large, very healthy fish stuffed into small tanks, it is not aesthetically pleasing to me... I was over at someone's house buying coral recently and they had several 10"+ fish in a 75 gallon tank that were just pinned to the wall and in the rockwork, where they had no room to swin AT ALL in this tank crowded with corals... it was sad and not very natural looking. It would stress me out to have a tank like that. I know this person is building a room in their house for a 300 gallon tank they already own, and these fish will have room one day, so there is some relief to the fish and to the owner...

12. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

now, to reply to the original poster, I believe some of the best reef safe fish are most goby species, fairy wrasses, clowns, tangs and anthias. There's a lot more out there, but I have had great luck with these... I also have done well with a dwarf angel, but we all know these can pick on corals, I'm just lucky mine never has... I think it has to do with a good diet and especially feeding them nori, which they like to graze on throughout the day...