What are some considerations for a oversized stand?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Powerman, Dec 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Looks great Gazog! Awesome work!

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I do want ti higher. I only have 24 in under the cabinet. Way too cramped.. A frag tank would be cool.

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

A door on the side is a must. On one end it will be next to a wall sort of, don't know how useful it would be, but might do it any way. That's my problem now that there is no way to get stuff in.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Thanks. Actually I was looking at that. A 65g would be nice. Little wider and less tall. Reasonable prices. Thanks for the tip.

6. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

The stand that I built is bigger than my 125gal, as long as you build the stand correctly there shouldn't be a problem. The only regret I have with my stand is I only put 2 doors, If I were to build it again I'd put 4+ doors like mission and others said to have more room to work on the sump/fuge ect.
    I also painted a waterproofing membrane under the tank and plumbing areas just in case. I wish I would have taken pics back then but wasn't a member of 3reef yet sorry.
    This is the waterproofing membrane
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...3&productId=100169081&N=10000003 90087 503002

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  7. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

+1 the doors on the sides give you many more options for tank lengths instead of squeezing them in the front doors, you can just slide them in the sides.. the front doors will give you access to the tank and the sides will let you pull it in and out.. as far as sealing your stand (Unless i'm interpreting this wrong) i would advise against it due to overheating problems. In my stand if i leave the doors closed with the lights on, it overheats.. you could however, build up a small wall of plywood at the bottom which goes all the way around and seal it off with silicone.. that way you will have protection if it overflows and you can have some breathing space for your tank..

8. Click Here!

9. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Nice setup gazog, and fishoholic. gazog, you think that I-beam will hold?:eek:;D

Powerman: Plan everything real good. Make sure you have enough height above the sump to remove a skimmer if you have one. Plan ahead for convenience even though you would have to compromise a little for the sump size.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Thanks for the input guys. Just what I was looking for.

IBMgeek.... thanks. I will plan it out. I only have 24" vertical in my stand now. Getting my skimmer out of my sump is a pain, but can be dome. I was looking for more vertical height for just that reason. Will have a lot to do to look at measurements and such to get things right.

While I started down this road to add a fuge, I can see how much more convenient things will be with more room. Conc=vienience of maintenance will be my top priority. I will have plenty of room for what I want.

11. makinITwork

makinITwork Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I built my 3 stands. I personally went a "bit" crazy. I think in the event of an earth quake, it's safer under my tanks.

2x4's and lots of them. (on the 1st, I used pressure treated, on the 2nd it was a mix and by the 3rd it was normal lumbar) I also used the metal braces/brackets for all of the corners (top and bottom). I put a 2x4 between all of the upright posts to stop any sheer forces with metal "T" braces. I then covered the entire thing with thin plywood (lots of screws to keep it from shifting). That was the basic stand, from there I added 1x 3 and 1x5 strips of pine and some mouldings to make it look nice.

When I designed it, I knew it was overkill, but I wanted something to be solid and not start to fall appart if it got wet.

oh, and GREAT pic's. really really nice.