What Are My Chances ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Oct 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

When I woke this morning, I found my 1, out of 2, discus wedged between the glass & a rock. How it got there, I have no idea. I managed to free it, but it had gone through some ordeal. It did swim around a bit, but was having much trouble trying to right itself. Then.... a couple of times, I found it attached to the inflow tube of one of my box filters. It was always the same filter. Since I have 2, I shut off that 1 for awhile. Now it is hanging around the upper right side of the tank. It is breathing, but just seems to want to rest there.

What are my changes that the poor thing will survive ?

If it doesn't survive, will my 1 remaining discus be happy by itself in my 36 gallon tank ?

Thanks,
    Gary.

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians.

2. Click Here!

3. oceansurf

My discus did not make it. Now I am faced with a delima. I know discus are social animals, but since they cost $100 + where I live, I was wondering if there were other, less expensive, tankmates that would fulfil this service.

It can't be small. I tried neon tetras some time ago & they didn't last a day.

I'm sure, after all this time, the discus will be quite territorial so I'll need something that can defend itself, but not hurt my discus. I have cleaners & such ,so I am looking for something of similar size to my discus without over crowding my tank. Something that might fulfil the social need of my discus. I'd love to have 1 angel, but I've heard from many, that, that is not a good idea.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Gary.

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

What happened to them?

5. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

6. oceansurf

Would the discus be happy as a sole occupant of a show tank ?

7. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

What size is the tank? Any peaceful fish should do fine. Angelfish, other tetras, some of the smaller catfish.

8. Click Here!

9. oceansurf

"Now" I have 1 discus in my 36 gallon. "If" I were to add angels, how many would I add & what sizes ?

10. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

I would recommend to just get a few, because angelfish grow pretty quickly.

11. oceansurf

I love my remaining turquoise discus. It is so beautiful ! I guess I have 2 questions here. I realize that discus are social animals, but can 1 discus be healthy & happy in a 36 gallon tank ?

You have been very good with helping me with tank mates, but I guess my question is, what tank mates will definitely live peacefully with my discus & possibly fulfill its need for socialization. Angels might get a bit too big & I'm not sure how they would hit it off. I'm pushing it with 1 discus in a 36 gallon. I would have to get a couple more medium-sized fish or a school of smaller fish which would make my discus happy.
    OR

As I said before, it may be both happy & healthy on its own.

What are your thoughts ?

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Clown loaches and Cardinal tetras are often found as tank mates for Discus
    IME - the Cardinals are larger than Neons but share a very similar colouration
    and Clown Loaches as shy retiring fish, not aggressive IME

Steve