What am I doing wrong?...calling water chemistry guru's

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Nismo400rgtr, Dec 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

I don't see any brown but that could be my tiredness right now...either way I'd get some more CUC and do a decent size water change...then test and wait...I'd stop dosing for now

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

You also had high salinity recently if I recall. Like the others said, you want to dose slowly and carefully. The idea is stability. Also consider cleaning your pumps and powerheads in vinegar. That same residue will be on the shafts.

4. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm using ESV 2 part.So their component Number 1. I set the drip rate so that by morning it's complete.I'd say I'm adding the Ca anywhere from 1-3 hours after the Alk drip is complete.

Best scraper I've found for removing the build-up,which is calcification and not any type of algae BTW,is a razor blade. Plastic ones just don't have enough penetration. I don't have much for algae in the tank,just light film.

Both my powerheads are pointed toward the front glass.The left one slightly downward and the right one almost straight to catch some surface for agitation. My drip is set-up about 6 inches from the right Powerhead but very close to the front glass.

Ca is full strength from a gallon jug of ESV already diluted in RO. Alk I was playing around with mixing in various amounts of Fresh RO. 3 Liters when I had to lower SG some and smaller amounts when I didn't.

You are correct. It was 1.029 as of this past Saturday. Drained 1 1/2 Gallons and replaced with fresh RO 1 cup at a time in the same amount over a few hours.Did this Sunday as well,then my Alk dose was in about 3 Liters Fresh RO last night.All this brought it to what it is now at 1.027.

I'm using ESV salt as well. Mix 5 gal. at a time for weekly WC's,however I haven't performed one for two weeks.

I do agree with everyone that's saying I'm going too fast,or trying too anyway.What's happening currently is proof of that. I'm not going to dose anything for 7 Days as of today and will Definitely perform a WC this weekend.

But what happens if my levels fall too much over this period. Do I continue to dose the 2 part all over again?Do I divide my losses by 7 to determine usage?Not sure what My approach should be. If I could keep params where they are now I'd be happy with that.

Thanks for all the replies.I don't mind being told the truth, I just want to be a good reefer.

1 person likes this.
  5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

This is part of the problem. You need to have the drip and water point to the farthest point away from the PH. Make sure the flow stays clear of the glass. Try and drip it as slowly as possible also or dilute it more.

6. barbianj

I learned from simply following the instructions on Bulk Reef Supply. At first, you need to test, add, retest a lot. Now that my parameters are stable, I only test dKh every two weeks or so.

7. barbianj

Oh yeah, K+ for honesty. It goes a long way! ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Nismo400rgtr

I've tested the big three every day since I began Dosing!! I will check out what sort of instruction BRS has to offer. I'll also change my drip point to another location. Takes me about two hours to scrape it all meticulously. Not fun at all and not what I want to do when I get home from a long day at work ;).

10. Nismo400rgtr

Thanks.

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

A few have echoed my basic thoughts, but I think the core of your problem is you are dosing far too much. If you swing your pH too much, the Ca will precipitate. Consequently, dosing too much alk will cause your pH to rise.

I'd ask what is your pH before you dose for Alk, and after you finishing dosing? Does it rise more than a couple points?

12. Nismo400rgtr

That makes sense.

I've never tested PH after the dose in the AM, wish I would've thought of that. Unfortunately I won't have a chance to test that for another 6 days as I'm not Dosing anything until next Tuesday. I'll check params again about an hour after my WC on Sunday, and I'm gonna test the water I make before adding it to the tank as I've never done so. I usually just check it for matching salinity and temp to my DT water.