What acrylic should be used?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by fischkid2, Feb 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

I've been trying to find a clear answer in the DIY forum but still haven't had much luck.
    I'm thinking about making a ~30g, shallow, square-shape aquarium. My question is what type of acrylic would be good for this job and where can it be found? I went to HD yesterday and saw that they sell .220 inch acrylic made by optix (plaskolite.com).
    Also, I'll probably use a euro style brace for the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. YankeePete

YankeePete Astrea Snail

DO NOT USE ACRYLIC FROM HOME DEPOT/LOWES!!!This material is extruded acrylic and should never be used for a pressure vessel. You will have to go online and find cell cast acrylic. Extruded CAN be used for baffles or even overflow boxes but NOT for the tank itself. Cell cast offers higher strength and less water absorption.(yes plastic absorbs water). Along with these basic properties cell cast sadly also offers a much higher material cost.

4. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

Ok got it! Thanks!

5. Windrider

Windrider Plankton

Never use extruded (HD material). You will see crazing and degradation of material very quickly. Also stay way from most imported material. (Exception-- acrylite GP is now made in China)You do not know what you will get as far as percentage of polymer, any issues when you peel the paper, and often it is cross-linked material that won't glue well. Preferable for a project like this (Cost and quality) is Lucite L. (Continuous cast). Polycast or acrylite GP would be your next choice. The new High density extruded material will also cause issues down the road, So will Acrylite FF (Extruded). It makes a good looking seam etc. but will craze and degredate relatively quickly. They can sell you a sheet of .220 Lucite L for $120 if they have it in stock. (No additional shipping charges). Even less in quantity, but as a person out of your home they will try to get $150-200 out of you. Negotiate-- It is that type of industry. It wasn't that long ago that I could get that sheet for $60. The whole industry went to crap.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Good info to know!