What about tangs?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Craig Manoukian, Dec 5, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Tangs are the cows of the sea, they will graze all day, and if you have enough food for them, you can keep more then one. They get agressive when there isnt enough food source.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

A Naso needs a larger tank, 125 or beter in my opinion, and because of the different mouth structures won't compete with food with a Yellow Eyed Kole Tang. The Kole is one of the most docile of all the tangs.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

Happy tangs,

OmarD

5. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

i have a 210gal reef. i currently have a clown tang, about 3in, and want to add a unicorn thats about 7in. any thoughts?

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I think I'd have it in the tank already if I wanted it :) I see no problems maybe some displaying and a little chasing ? But it will settle down Its more about the body shape that seems to triggers any feeding aggression .

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I have a powder blue that I got about a month ago. As some have said, he's a garbage disposal. If I put a seaweed slice on a clip, he treats it like an edible punching bag. In my 90G, he's currently in the company of 2 Banggai Cardinals, a yellow coris wrasse, and percula clown. I'd love another tang. From what I'm reading, it would be probably best to refrain.

Anyone?

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

If that Blue Tang is like mine and you bring another one in smaller you can bet there will be some chasing around until they settle. Hopefully no one will get hurt. Maybe if you add two at once it will throw him off. JMO

10. johnett

johnett Astrea Snail

I was thinking of getting a naso tang. I have researched and found different size for the tank size. I have 120 gal that is 60 inches long and 24 inches tall.

Now I do have a sailfin in there and wanted your advice on if I could keep it? I have about 150 pounds of live rock so plenty for it to pick on and to hide.

11. joesreef

joesreef Astrea Snail

now this is a great subject. I love my tangs and have quite a few....I think it comes down to personal preference when talking about tangs...I have 3 in my 75 gallon at work and they get along great.....I have 9 in my system at home...I do keep them fed alot though!

12. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I have 5 Chromis as they seem to get along better in groups of 5. 2 percula clowns are a good match. Get a cleaner shrimp to keep them all healthy. I have a Royal Gramma and he's a good fish. I have a baby hippo tang and he's cool. I am moving up from my 65 gal tank into a 120 gal tank within a week. Keep in mind that this hobby gets addictive and you might be moving up before you know it. I just got my 65 gal 3 months ago and I've outgrown it already. If I didn't live in a condo I would have gone to a 180 gal 72"x24". Thats a nice size tank. I had a 150 gal but it was 29" high which is good if you have a 4"-6" deep sand bed. The 180 and the 120 are about 24" high. With corals you have to be able to reach the bottom from time to time. Good luck!

Attached Files: