What about making my salinity 1.020 because my LFS has this also to avoid Ich because

Discussion in 'Salt' started by minajaguar, Jul 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Why? I have nothing against selcon, but I have nothing against garlic either. Selcon isn't found in the ocean.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Addition of Garlic certainly does not hurt anything, just like the addition of a UV filter. Both are just tools used in combating the parasite. To rule out an agent simply because it does not exist in the natural environment seems far too black and white.

4. Renee@LionfishLair

Just to clarify. I do not believe it to be a cure for Ich. It just helps support the immune system during such stressors. There has been some reference to parasites and garlic and even the antibiotic like properties of garlic, but I haven't seen any official studies on that. Until then, I use it just for immunity support.

There's also a garlic product that is made just for fish. It sure does smell bad, though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i dont believe garlic does a thing, i have used the garlic thats meant for fish, not garlic from my fridge, i have tried it on my first tank and yes i gave it another try on this tank after feeling it was useless on my other tank and i still feel its a waste of money and is not a miracle cure. i buy foods like rods, i know that has garlic it in it. but i buy these foods for their great mix of foods in them, and feel the garlic is something that is not proven and as far as I'm concerned when i used the liquid garlic made for fish i seen no results either way. as for uv i have seen what a uv can do for a tank. in this tank and my tank a few years back. so i will always recommend uv reason being... i have seen good results from using it.

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Garlic is not proven for what? Proven to contain high amounts of vitamins in a small amount of space? Pretty sure that's proven. Healtheir fish cannot be "seen".

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Lets get this thread back on track please.

We are discussing salinity.

8. Click Here!

9. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Leave your salinity at 1.23-1.25. Your fish can still live happily if ich is present in your tank.

10. minajaguar

minajaguar Spaghetti Worm

For fsukum : what is the relation between the two questions u are saying that they are the same ::
    1)I am curing Ich .. i have two fishses still not infected my hyposalinity method?
    2)What about making my salinity 1.020 because my LFS has this also to avoid Ich ?

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

If you are not going to go down to 1.009-1.010 SG for 4-8 weeks, then don't bother as hypo-salinity must be this low or else it's not effective.