What about making my salinity 1.020 because my LFS has this also to avoid Ich because

Discussion in 'Salt' started by minajaguar, Jul 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

please correct me if im totally wrong, but i have heard on other forums that raising your tank temp can disrupt the ich cycle. (specifically over 80 degrees). i had a bad outbreak once in my planted tank so i slowly raised the temp up to 84 degrees for a few days and all signs of the parasite went away. since then i always keep my tanks at 80-81 and never have problems. anyone have opinions on this?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

FW Ich is much different then SW Ich. Raising the temp only causes the life cycle to speed up meaning the spots you see while in the Trophont stage may disappear but the parasite has moved on to its next stage (Trophont free swimming) causing it to spread faster. Also raising the temp lowers the o2 content of the water and that is not something you want to do to your sick fish.;)

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

While this is true of fresh water ich, it does not apply to marine ich a completely different organism.
    What you witnessed is merely the parasite falling off the body of the fish into the substrate to complete it's life cycle. Your fish are more resistant after the initial out break and there is a lower level of stress.
    If you should experience a decline in water quality, aggression between fish, marine ich will once again become symptomatic.
    Over many months the parasite numbers decline but with enough stress this opportunistic parasite has no problem reappearing.

5. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

thanks for clarifying, good to know!

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I feel like you have asked this question before. Am I wrong?

7. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

might be possible, if so i totally forgot about it and you have a really good memory.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Didn't mean you.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Garlic may not be in the ocean, but it's vitamins are! Garlic is high in vitamin C which supports the immune system. It also has trace elements of vitamin E which have a synergistic effect when coupled with the vitamin C. Then there's the almighty vitamin B1 is has, which our fish are often lacking in their diet.

There's niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, riboflavin, Vitamin A and K..... calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, selenium and zinc.

It's not a cure for Ich, but the basis for any successful recovery.

1 person likes this.
  12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

you want vitamins use selcon