What about flame scallops?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by david, Aug 20, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I was thinking about getting a flame scallop (my wife likes them)
    so whats the deal with them? do they need light like a clam?do you feed them? if so what? any specific needs you have to meet please let me know if you have any expereance with them!
    thanks D.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

They're not an easy one. They seem to hold on for some time, but they either succumb to some water pollutant or they starve from lack of food. They require phytoplankton in the right size, plus I do belive the need some nitrates (or is it nitrites?). In my NSW systems at work, they thrive, so I'm inclined to think, its got more to do with pollutants from synthetic salt mix and top off water, as I feed several sizes of phytoplankton. With all the acclimating and shipping we do in wholesale, we do HUGE water changes all the time, so water pollutants (quality) is never a problem with our inverts.

5. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

My flame scallop just bit the big one but I belive I killed it!
    I started feeding d.t.'s and I was target feeding the scallop with the D.T.'s he always looked great untill then but I didn't catch on and the day after did it again then he looked even worse then I got it the D.T.'s came outta the fridge so here I was filling his little shell with a substance that was like ? 30'f I think thats what killed him because like I said he was fine every day for 1/2 a year and then poof It's the only thing I can think of?

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

DT's need to be kept cold. As soon as it hits the water it warms up.
    I have had my Flame scallop for over a year and a half and have never forced feed it.
    I add DT's to the water and let them feed freely. I only see him every so often but I know he still lives because I just saw him 2 days ago.

They really are cool but if I had to do it again I would buy something else.

7. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

yes I knew about the D.T's. I wasn't force feeding him. I knew there was nothing wrong with him. I thought I was doing him a favor. Instead, being over anxious about using the new D.T's. I made this grievious error and killed him. By tring to be extra nice! It sucks, but that is how you learn. Now I do just add it to the water as you said I just don't know what I was thinking? ???

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

That's pretty normal from what I've heard that they look fine and then decline very rapidly.