What a punk

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by ingtar_shinowa, Feb 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Chris is a nobb. Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

its difficult to give a definitive answer as you have already gathered
    due to the not knowing of the water parameters

but
    if all the other corals you have are doing OK and just these new rics are struggling
    then it could be due to any or all of the following possibilities

1 - coral aggression - whats closest to the Rics- is there anything that can touch them
    2 - chemical warfare - carbon is a real benefit in softie tanks as many corals release chemicals designed to prevent other corals taking over their territory, leathers are a prime example of this- do you have any leather or toadstool corals in there.
    3 - Nitrates - possibly high, and got high slowly so your other corals have adapted and learned to tolerate, but the new additions being used to lower levels are not happy in there
    4 - any other of the accepted water parameters could be an issue here and as with Nitrates if the changes occur slowly, corals in residence can adapt to it, but new corals cannot

post a picture of the tank if you can as that might give us a clue, flow, neighbours etc
    as to what the Rics issues might be.

I would A - run carbon now if your not and B take a sample of the water to the LFS and get a full set of parameter checks done

Steve

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

2 - chemical warfare - carbon is a real benefit in softie tanks as many corals release chemicals designed to prevent other corals taking over their territory, leathers are a prime example of this- do you have any leather or toadstool corals in there.

I didnt know this, I was not using carbon anymore since a few days ago.. I guess its time to pick more carbon up.