WhachYaMaCallItSnail

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by 55gfowlr, Aug 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Yes I do.....3 of them, been in there for 2 months

2. Click Here!

3. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Sorry for the quality, I really wanted to start this thread when I could get some better shots, I hope this helps.....

[​IMG]

4. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Darn things are so tiny.....

5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

A few closer shots....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Yeah, the pics that show dark-colored snails don't look much like either pyramidellids or rissoids. The first pics with the white snails with slightly darker banding DO look like one of those species. Were the first pics the same snails (with enough backlighting to make them look white), or do you have two different types? If you could get enough zoom, or crop your originals so that the snail part shows up larger on here, I might be able to give you a more positive ID.

Cheers,

Don

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

TBH, the last couple of shots have been the best I've been able to get, but they all look like this. I've tried using my 12mpxl kodak cam and adjusting the photo type to every setting it has, and it still cant get a good shot. Only my blackberry has been able to get a pic that small....lol

8. Click Here!

9. lynnmw1208

lynnmw1208 Skunk Shrimp

baby dwarf cerith or peppermint snails maybe

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I did a little reading on the Pyram snails, and just like PJ says, Pyrams are white in color, after looking at some clear pics online, and again closely looking at mine again, mine all have either a solid dark shell, or a black and white striped. I'm leaning toward "not Pyrams", and very much hoping at the same time. Being that I have a skimmer running all the time, I don't think they are ceriths. This is because their larvae are planktonic, and get skimmed out or eaten before ever developing into a snail. Stomatella and nassarius reproduce directly without a planktonic stage, so this may be the likely ID, still crossing my fingers they are not Pyrams.

11. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Well, you're doing some good research in narrowing it down. Juveniles are always harder to ID than adults, even if you have really good macro pics (unless you just happen to come across someone who is familiar with your exact juveniles). I can rule out peppermint snails and Stomatellas for you. I don't know of any ceriths that are that smooth and glossy, even as juveniles, so I suspect that's not an option. There are a couple of Nassarius species that look similar as juveniles, and some Planaxis species that look very much like yours. None of the likely options are harmful species, in any case.

Cheers,

Don