wfb's 90 gallon build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by wfb2270, Mar 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

guess ill make it official and start a build thread.

i have learned a lot in the last year since getting my setup "used". had all the newbie battles, ich, high nitrates, algae. came out pretty good. only "scars" left are the pile of money i wasted on stuff that doesnt work and a clown tang in a 55 gallon.

the new tank is a marineland. had the overflow moved to other side of tank. also had extra hole drilled for herbie style overflow. stand is custom made.

adding dry rock, reactors for carbon and gfo (separate), 5 stage ro/di. from bulk reef supply

swc skimmer from elite reef. customer service has be excellent.

29 gallon sump.

thanks for all the help so far threw a pic of the tank getting upgraded in there

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. wfb2270

one more,

oh yeah......if the overflow confuses you its cause it just a bunch of parts thrown in there ;D

Attached Files:

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Awesome!! I'm subscribing to follow your progress. Your stand is very pretty!! I'm a little jealous ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. wfb2270

thanks, yeah iit is pretty. it was stained to match a couple of other pieces of furniture in the room.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

My stand's already falling apart and it's only a few months old!! Lol

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Nice. Keep us posted.

8. Click Here!

9. wfb2270

ok, the last 36 hours or so have been crazy. i have some advice. anyone thinking of upgrading a tank and putting the new tank in the same spot i have some advice..............dont ;D

i am really nervous about a huge cycle. i was able to use about 30 gallons of water from the 55. which means i added about 60-80 gallons of new water.
    i hope all the original live rock and the added rock will be able to colonize fast enough. also hung my original aquac remora on the sump for now. figure it will help. plus i still need to get the new swc dialed in.

i hope everyone made it. just found my tailspot in a puddle in the bottom of a bucket. had to have been there for at least 6 hours. still alive but doesnt look so hot.

lost a fire fish in a 10 gallon holding tank. it was covered so i hope he was just in one of the rocks.

trying to get the melanurous and the yellow wrasse out of the sandbed was a HUGE PITA. i almost gave up.

i know i need some pics, but i am exhausted. will tmmr.

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Oh....doesn't sound like it was too easy! ;) Glad you found the little guy in the bucket. Hope he's doing okay.

We need pics!

11. wfb2270

finally got some pics, kinda crappy but pics :). ill take some more tomorrow when the tank is "awake" (turned the lights on to take them).

just got done installing the GFO reactor, Carbon reactor.

added some sand, halimeda (from 55 DT), and a light (6700K CFL) to the fuge

red firefish appeared, ;D

unfortunately have not seen the tailspot since the night i found him in the puddle. he was breathing very heavy at the bottom when i finally got him in to the tank.:cry:

edge of the montipora is a little brown. hope that clears up.

SWC skimmer is pulling gunk out.

plumbing is working well, do need to change the return standpipe though, siphon break hole is to high for a "herbie" like drain.

Attached Files:

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Looks great! I like your sump a lot, very nice. Wish mine looked like that!