Wet/Dry filter Bio Balls?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Fastlife, Mar 6, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

Hello there i have a question about wet/dry filter. I know that these filter with the bio ball in are a Nitrate Factory. Some people say to remove them completly. I was wondering if i replaced my bio ball with some crushed corals that i have, would that raise my calcium level? Or will it do nothing? Has anyone tried this? Will it work? Or will it just be another form of High Nitrates.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I dont think that replacing the bioballs with crushed coral will make any difference. How large in size is the CC?

John

4. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

I have a few . One is about the size of a foot ball , one half that size and 3 smaller ones. I was planing on breaking them for that use if it has any good use.

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

You might want to try removing the bio balls, and adding live rock rubble and raising the water level so the rock is covered, or convert it into a refuge.

6. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

Well i have a 15 gal. tank that i am going to make into a refugium. So that is that, but i was reading and they mentioned that in a calcium reactor you can use crushed coral or shell( i know its because of the lower PH with the CO2). I thought by adding the crushed coral it would help to raise the calcium level.

7. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Sorry, I don't know enough about calcium reactors.

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I really don't think you will get much benefit from crushing the coral and using it instead of the bioballs :)

You wont get any calcium because ( as you mentioned ) the PH will be all wrong so all you will be left with is a mechanical filter media. You may as well just leave them the size they are and use them in your refugium.

John

[quote author=Fastlife link=board=General;num=1110149200;start=0#2 date=03/07/05 at 17:43:46]I have a few . One is about the size of a foot ball , one half that size and 3 smaller ones. I was planing on breaking them for that use if it has any good use.[/quote]

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I agree.
    And crushed coral will clog more too.

11. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

O.K. thanks for the info. I guess i will be putting back some bio balls. I am not going to put them all back because i noticed alot of brown stuff on the bottom of my wet/dry filter when i was cleaning it out. Any idea what that could be( the brown stuff)? Is it Nitrate build up?

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Nope! :)

Nitrate is a chemical compound not a solid. Probably will be under the general term of Detrius :) Ashes to ashes, dust to dust

John