Wet Dreams :-P

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by IceDragon, May 4, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

well since i am on hold due to finances i thought i would throw out my wildlife thoughts for my 75G tank

Corals:

Tonga mushroom
    Bubble coral
    Star Pattern Zoos
    Yellow Torch
    Tongue Coral
    Open Brain Coral

Others:

24 Electric Blue Hermit Crab
    24 Black and White Haw. Hermit Crab
    24 Baha Snail (Cerith)
    12 Bumble Bee Snail
    24 Margarita Snail
    2 Queen Conch
    2 Coral Banded Shrimp
    2 Pepermint Shrimp
    3 Brittle Star
    Rose BTA

Fish:

2 True Percula Clownfish
    2-4 Fairy Wrasses
    2-4 Damsels
    Flame Angelfish
    2 Engineer Goby
    2 Neon Blue Goby
    Blue Tang
    Green Mandarin (psy)

please keep in mind this is a longterm goal, as finance and the need for tank establishment will be essential to care for some of these creatures (cough ... green mandarin ... cough)

additionally i tried to list the fish in order i thought they should be added to the tank

looking forward to some feedback [smiley=book2.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Well, if it was me, I would reconsider the Damsels :)

John

4. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

damsels are bad???

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

IceDragon,

One of the most "fun" thing about setting up new system is "imagining" all the "possibities" ---

While a great exercise in learning habits and needs of different species - which you need to make sure you are aware of...most important thing is start out with most "hardy" and "compatable...

Have read few reports by those happy with Damsels in long run...same with flame angel - beautiful fish (nasty habits :p) -

Go slow on corals also...your system will need to get some feet under it before most of them are going to be happy...Bubble coral and couple of leathers were all I could keep "happy" in first few months...

Definitly lay off the BTA for a while...the clowns will be quite happy without her until you are sure system is well developed. Little chance for long term survival if you rush it.

Exciting times!!! - read allot --- ask allot --- ENJOY!!!

OmarD

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=IceDragon link=board=Newbie;num=1083717995;start=0#2 date=05/04/04 at 19:33:59]damsels are bad???[/quote]

Not bad really, some are just a bit more territorial and aggressive that some other types of fish.

John

7. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

thanks omar and john

i had really just thought the damsels would add a little color so holding off on them is no biggie

as far as starting i had figured to start with just a bubble and maybe a frog-spawn or hammer and as far as fish i just wanted to get a pair of True Percula Clownfish.  i love the color on these clowns and i hear they are good starter fish.  i also hear they can change sex but that sounded a little outlandish

concerning initial start-ups and coral, will i be able to start with small frags (2" or less) or do i need to get the full piece to start with(i figure frags will save on cost and allow me to really start from the ground up)

TIA  [smiley=book2.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

As far as fish are concerned I have always relied on this book as a guide together with asking others opinions

Reef Fishes: A Guide to Their Identification, Behavior, and Captive Careby Scott W. Michael, John E. Randall

John

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Fifteen or sixteen fish are way too many for youer 75 gallon. At one inch of fish per five gallons you will have room for 15 - 20 inches of mature fish.

The two clowns, four flasher wrasses (a male and three females), and the neon gobies are the way I would go. Eight fish are the maximum in a 75 gallon.

The engineer gobies can get up to 10" long and can make a real mess of your substrate. A mandarin requires a 100 gallon or larger tank for adequate pod production. The flame angel may nip your corals, an expensive food source. And I would choose the other fish I recommended over the yellow tang as a personal preference.

HTH

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

IceDragon,

you wrote:

"...i love the color on these clowns and i hear they are good starter fish.  i also hear they can change sex but that sounded a little outlandish ..."

"outlandish" is a good word!  ;D - describes what you are getting into perfectly...implies, much, much different life forms and habits , etc...than "on land"...

Welcome to a very "strange" new world which you will find full of wonderful surprises...not only do many species "change sex" but some are "both sexes" ...is a world where "males "carry and have the babies...and lots of other  stuff that only be described as "weird beyond weird" by those that are not familier with the environment we are dealing with...

[​IMG]

Welcome to the "Bizzare"/"Outlandish"

Rod Serling (of "Twilight Zone") has nothing on us...or this world...eye-popping, mind-reeling, and just down right amazing creatures, habits and interactions everywhere in this "world" , once you start to look...

The typical reaction of my Muslim aquaintences on first visit to and basic familiariztion  with reef aqarium and marine life is a constant/undending string of "Alhamdulila" ("Praise be to God") - and "Subhan'allah" ("Glory be to God...") ---- expressions used culturally to describe the most amazing, profound and awsome events/sights...

"Welcome...to the Reef...of the Real"

...Om
    (ummm, wonder what movie inspired that line...??? :p)

Enjoy...

OmarD
    [​IMG]

12. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

hmmm well i went to the library and there is not one copy of that book in the system :(

i have been getting most of my info on fishes from http://www.liveaquaria.com ( a site i found in one of omar's old post)

as far as the tangs go the yellow one is pretty but i just am not personal fond of it (plus my uncle has one and i am already using his old gear .... i dont want to set my tank up exactl like his)

i looked up the flasher wrasses and IMO i life the purple fairy wrasses my LFS carries better since they have the same mature size and care. also i think i would be good with just a pair as i want some veriety in my tank

i agree on the engineering gobies ... plus with the BB snails, queen conch, and brittle starts i should get enough sand shifting

the green mandrin was the whole reason a started this project, both my LFS and omar's site agree that the fish can live in an established 30G tank with a fuge attached

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=551

so as far a fish i think that would pum my new list at
    2 True Percula Clownfish 6"
    2 Fairy Wrasses 6"
    2 Neon Blue Goby 4"
    Blue Tang 12"
    2 Green Mandarin (psy) 8"

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    9 fish 36" total

i know i am have not quite narrowed it down to 20" yet but its a work in progress