Wet and Dry filter?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Reefguy, Jan 19, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

Hi,

can someone explain to me how this works? is it an addition to a reg filter or a skimmer? It looks like a 10 gallon tank to me with a receive and return line running through it. What is its purpose/ advantage and how does it work

2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

Wet/dry filters mix air and water as water trickles over an exposed filter media. Biological filtration and gas exchange occur as the water flows in a thin layer over the media surface. The rapid oxidation of ammonia and nitrite makes these filters extremely effi

4. allaboutfish37

The primary task of a Wet/Dry filter is to provide biological filtration. Therefore, your Wet/Dry system could be the most important ingredient of a successful tank, whether you keep freshwater or marine animals. This is the process in which ammonia is converted to nitrites, then to nitrate. However, many Wet/Dry filters incorporate more than one method of filtration. Most have chemical chambers enabling you to store carbon or other resins. And, most have filter pads which help take particulate matter from the tank. These filters actually combine biological, chemical and mechanical filtration all in one unit. And, some have very effective protein skimmers, making them all-inclusive units.

Wet/Dry systems earned their name by the method by which they stimulate bacterial growth. A successful bacteria colony requires moisture, heat and oxygen. The temperature of your tank will provide the necessary heat for proper growth. And obviously, the moisture is taken care of by the water in your tank.

Each Wet/Dry filter uses its own type and grade of bio material. Most filters use bio-balls, which are spherical plastic balls which are hollow and have a netted structure. Other filters such as the CPR family of Wet/Dry units use a structure called Bio Bale, which looks like 'plastic hay'. The bio media is used to stimulate the growth of bacteria.

When the water enters the wet/dry filter from your tank, it is poured over the bio material at a high velocity. As the water flows over the material it mixes with the air, supersaturating the water. It is this mixing affect that contributes to the term Wet/Dry.

When the water is processed by the bio material, it enters the sump, which is simply a collection reservoir where the water awaits its return to the tank. In the sump, tank water is processed chemically and mechanically, and with a protein skimmer in some filters. Then, it is pumped back into the tank. The process repeats continuously, all day and all night

5. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

thanks for your replies,

so a wet & dry filter is a must for a reef tank right? right now I have a fluval 403 which I use to use in my freshwater tank. Also do you need to drill a hole in your tank to have a wet and dry filter or does the intake come from the skimmer or what?

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I personally like wet/drys but they more suited for fish only tanks than a typical reef tank with lots of rock and some sand.

See the rock, hopefully porous rock, and the sand have a lot of surface area that will provide the biological filtration that the wet/dry will without the leftover nitrates which sometimes can be a shortcoming with wet/drys as they build up. Some just do more water changes to keep them down.

That said, I've seen plenty of good looking reefs with wet/drys. To each their own. One benefit of the wet/dry is some serious oxygen injection. BUt the KISS principal is pretty powerful and many just forego the wet/dry.

Jeez.. hope that makes sense. ::)

matt

7. allaboutfish37