Urgent well... this sucks

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by KDtrey5, Oct 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

After battling with cyano I diminished it with ultralife red slime remover. Couple days later I noticed something new. Something brown. Dinoflagellates or 2nd diatom bloom???? My corals are all closed and there are quite a bit of bubbles.... please help!

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Need pics please.Sounds like possible dino's,but a pic is worth a thousand words.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Hmmm, I've never used that chemical personally. Did you stick to the dosing regimen?

Can you test your water params and take some pics to post, that would help. Hang in there!

BTW did you turn off your skimmer?

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

did you do the water change at the correct time. If not it just released all the cyano back into the water stream. Plus did you do the correct dose? Definately get some pictures.

Plus what have you done to get to the root of the problem? Decreased feedings, lighting, phosphate remover? Red slime remover is just basically a band-aid and the root must be corrected or else it will never get better

1 person likes this.
  6. KDtrey5

Don't have a skimmer cuz its a 20 gallon. Can't post pics cuz I'm on my phone. And water paeans are all good. Nitrates are at 0

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

but did you do the water change after treatment? I cant remember the time frame but think it is 72 hours. If not you just dumped all of it back into the tank

8. Click Here!

9. KDtrey5

Yea I did a water change even though directions didn't say anything. This isn't cyanide its brown and doesn't clump up. Yes I did the dosing correctly.

10. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Pictures are a huge help. I've had a problem several times where dead cyano = diatom outbreak. The nutrients have to go somewhere and diatoms are the quickest on the trigger.

11. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

well I'm glad it isn't cyanide :), that's the worst. Well if your params are ok, I guess the best you can do is do another large water change (50%), run carbon maybe. It could be nothing but not sure why your corals are closed up. Diatoms are usually only going to happen initially after your new tank has cycled, but it's not impossible.

How long was the duration from when you stopped using the chemical to when this new breakout/corals closed happened?

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

dino looks like brown/yellow snot. Very ugly and very distinctive. Diatoms and cyano can cause bubbling etc but dino is just that much worse. Does it get better when you turn off your lights and then gets worse as the day goes on. Also i have never used ultralife red slime remover only used chemiclean. But from my experience with chemiclean, it can deplete the disolved oxygen in the system so it might be helpful to add another air pump