well I did it....got the bimac octopus!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by schackmel, Sep 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Wasnt going to do it...but the LFS actually gave me the octopus for free ;D Maybe for all the money I spend there, maybe because they just reopened from a big remodel, maybe because the cuttles died, or perhaps they did not want to pay for feeding it anymore? I dont know but whatever the reason I could not pass it up.

One of the workers there has kept several octopus, and almost all of hers have lived for a year (which is the lifespan of octopus, 1 to 1/2 years max) She also has raised cuttles from eggs. So I spoke with her and got a lot of info...where to buy the food, care etc. Plus I have been cruising the TOMNO website (Cephlapod website/forum) for sometime reading as much as I can. Plus I have spoke with inwall who has kept them in his store.

So I went ahead and got him a couple days ago. Here is what I have done so far:
    1. they are escape artists, so I removed the koralia powerhead from the tank, installed an airstone that goes from one side of the tank to the other, and replaced the lid that I had removed for the new light that I had. Octopus require higher oxygen levels then most saltwater fish, so I had to figure out a way to increase the O2 without providing him anything to get into and get injured/killed. I am looking at some submersible filters that I can put in the tank and not worry about him getting into.
    2. I have placed duct tape all around the lid and any openings, so he can not climb out or remove the lid to get out
    3. Reopened my 12g tank so I can keep the crabs and inverts for him. He is currently eating an emerald crab daily (though he has ate frozen krill according to the LFS). I was given 15 emerald crabs today for a trade in that I did and have found a site where I can buy fiddler crabs for approximately $1 a piece (including shipping) I have a shipment coming in tomorrow. I have also placed a few shrimp in his tank, some peppermint and some ghost shrimp for him to hunt down.
    4. Octopus do not like the feel of astroturf. I placed some astroturf over the enterance of the sump area on the back of the tank. Octopus can get out of holes the size of an airline opening, so I had to really examine the tank well. There is very little area from the top of the tank to the filter part of it, however it is best to be safe, so the astroturf is an added barrier. Octopus, from what I read and heard, usually do not try to crawl out or ink unless their water parems are off. They can not tolerate ammonia or nitrites. Can tolerate a small amt of nitrates but have to work on keeping those down to zero also. And like said they require a high o2 level.
    5. Rearranged his rockscape to provide many areas of caves for him to hide in. I have also purchased various shapes of 2" PVC pipes for him to play in. One piece is a straight piece, and 2 of them have various angles for him to manuver. I have thought about various "thinking activities" to keep him stimulated and with the help of inwall I have come up with some for him. One is to place a crab in an empty bottle for him to figure out how to get it out. Another one is I am going to hit my nieces/nephew toy box and get some big Lego pieces. They like to carry things around the tank and rearrange them. I will also be buying a checker board and taping it to the outside of his tank so he can work on changing colors. I am also looking at some cool macros to add to his tank (various colors)

Octopus are intelligent creatures (even more so then mantis) They have eyes similar to us and they have a well developed brain and they like to use it. They require daily stimulation so it is important that I keep interacting with him wiht various activities.

I have not taken any pictures of him yet, but will post some tomorrow. I had to go get my camera from my mother and then had to recharge the battery :-/. I will try to get some still images and video of him hunting. He changes colors to a dark black when he is hunting...so cool to look at!

2. Click Here!

3. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

Yay!!!

I'm really excited for you. Octopusses are the shiznit.

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

ok, I'll be watching this one :)

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Can't wait to see pics of the new addition.
    Every little bit helps. The cooler water is, the more oxygen it can hold. If you were to stay close to 76, it would be better than 78. Not really sure of the requirements of your ceph.........Keep it cool8)

6. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

Cool! A friend of mine had an octopus for quite a while and it was really fascinating watching it move across the tank and change colors with the scape. Can't wait to see your pics and videos!

7. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

What's the website for the fiddler crabs? I have mantis who i'd love to get some cheap live food for. :p

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

this shows how smart these creatures are:
    Curious octopus floods Calif. aquarium - USATODAY.com

this is a bimac also.

I am trying to find the article where a aquarium was loosing fish adn they set up a video camera because they thought the staff were stealing them but what they found was the octopus was escaping from his tank, going into other tanks and eating and then returning to his tank for the morning!

I have Goldie my golden puffer tank in the same room....she is on guard!

10. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Fiddler crab website?

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Congratulations!! Can't wait to see! Post a pic!