Well Cured Live Rock and Aptasia!! Quick Question!

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by balticbsc3, Feb 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. balticbsc3

balticbsc3 Plankton

Hello Everyone! Today I recieved a friends tank and with it about 50 lbs of well established live rock, a few unidentified leather corals, and a mated pair of yellow stripe maroon clowns. My girlfriend is setting up a 29 BioCube this week and I will hopefully be stocking it with some of this rock and will have no problem finding a place for the rest of it in one of my two tanks. My problem is this, this rock has aptasia. I (hopefully) killed six tonight with Joe's Juice and I know that my buddy has had to kill them off before. I really do not want to introduce an aptasia infestation into either of my tanks or the new BioCube. I am unsure of the best way to take care of these before dispersing this rock between the tanks. I know that I can use Joe's Juice or the Pepper, Tobasco, and Pickling Lime recipe to take care of the big ones and peppermint shrimp to eat the small ones, but will that be effective enough. I don't want to do this, but I am contemplating cutting the leathers off the rock, gluing them to rock in my other tanks, and just letting all of the rock soak in some fresh water for a few days. I know this will kill EVERYTHING, but I would just reseed it with some established rock from one of my tanks and cure it again. Let me know what you guys think I should do. Sorry this was so long. :p

2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I would just do as you are with the joe's juice and peppermint shrimp.
    Any coral or additional rock you purchase down the road may have aptasia on it any ways so you can always get it back.
    Plus you will lose a ton of your filtration in the live rock once you take it out of the salt water which will create more issues for your fish.
    Just my idea.

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Like jtReef said... keep nuking them with whatever cocktail you choose and add a couple of peppermint shrimps. Thats what i did and i'm not aptasia free.

Marc.

5. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

When you search aiptasia, theres a ton of recipes you can make with household products. I would kill all aiptasia before introducing to an established tank.
    Now, for your girlfreinds tank, i would freshwater boil the rock and remove all life and stuff off of it, and cycle with partially liverock(since you almost killed it all with the freshwater boil) and livesand. That way you run very little risk of getting aiptasia. If you add very small amounts of dead rock to your established tank, the cycle your water does is so small it shouldnt really affect anything. Just my $0.02

6. balticbsc3

balticbsc3 Plankton

Thanks for the replies! Anybody else have any opinions?

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Personally, I would completely nuke the rock but you might not want to do that.