Welcome Everyone!

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Reef Club' started by Kristiavi, Mar 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kristiavi

Kristiavi Coral Banded Shrimp

Lets started by introducing ourselves. Are you interrested in frag swaps or have any items to sell? This is the place to do it. Lets get to know each other!

My name is Kristi, I have lived in Jacksonville 3 years now. I was born and raised in Michigan about an hour north of detriot. My husband is in the Navy and is stationed here at Mayport so thats what brought us to Jacksonville. We really like it here, I love the big city life.

As far as my fish tank goes, Im fairly new to this whole thing. My tank is alittle over a month old. I still have a lot to learn about saltwater tanks but im enjoying the experience. I dont have any frags to trade yet but im looking to start adding coral soon so if anyone has any they would like to sell just pm me and let me know prices.

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Hello fellow (former) Michigander!

4. Peter T

Peter T Flamingo Tongue

Hello Kristi,

Next time I prune my green star polyp colonies I will give it to you instead of killing it. That stuff grows like a weed and it is a waste to throw away. In a month or so, I will also be fragging some zoanthids and hammer coral (thing grows like crazy) as well. If you want, I can give you a frag of all of them. Call it a coral bank, just in case one day my tank crashes and I need to replace my old stock :).

There is a pretty good reef club in Northeast Florida called NFMAS (Northeastern Florida Marine Aquarium Society). Quite a few members in Jacksonville. I am not a member yet, but the members I have met are good people and charge fair prices for frags and colonies. I picked up a softball sized colony of birdsnest coral from one of them for $30 about a week ago.

edit: Oh yeah, my name is Peter. I grew up in Jacksonville. When I was finished with Active Duty Army, I moved back to Jacksonville. Currently I am in the Army Reserve as a Drill Sergeant. However, I will probably be wrapping up my career in the Army shortly to pursue civilian life fully.

Depending on your light system, I can also frag some birdsnest coral for you.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  5. Kristiavi

Peter you are awesome! lol I would love to be a coral bank for you =] I will look up the NFMAS, thanks!

6. Peter T

Peter T Flamingo Tongue

There is another site that the NFMAS members frequent, but I like this site better. If you want, I can PM you the link so you can get in touch with the members.

I think there are quite a bit of people who use the coral bank idea. If my tank crashes, I have a source of some frags to restart and the other people end up with free corals :). Plus, I am in this hobby for fun and not profit. If I can help other people in the hobby with a few frags that take up space anyways, I have no problem with that. And it may help "encourage" the LFS or wholesalers that supply them to lower prices of the "Wacky Watermelon Alien Rainbow Fruitloop Ultra Limited Edition BUY NOW!! (insert coral name here)" I see every now and then :p

By the way, what type of lights do you use in your tank? Depending on the lights, you may be able to grow SPS corals.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kristiavi

I have T5's(two leds and 2 moonlights) I looked up nfmas and im thinking about it, i might wait until my coral gets going a little better because I dont have anything to offer at the swaps yet.

Once my corals start growing great and I have more of a variety in there I would gladly share corals with you. =]

8. Click Here!

9. Peter T

Peter T Flamingo Tongue

Haha, it is all good, no need to rush to join anything. Hell, I am not even a member yet :).

You do not have to worry about giving me any corals any time soon. When your tank is up and running smoothly and you get the hang of everything with crazy coral growth, feel free to give or sell some to me. But I do not mind not getting any corals back. That is why it is called giving and not selling lol.

You have T5s and LEDs as well? Or do you mean you have T5s and two LED moonlights? Do you know the wattage and temperature of your T5s and how many bulbs you are running on the T5? If you do not offhand, that is fine. I remember how much info I had to learn when I first got into the hobby. Years ago, before I knew of the internet, I was using two 36w (if I remember correctly) fluorescent plant bulbs on a 75gallon system with just lace rock and was wondering why anemones didn't live in my tank lol.

1 person likes this.
  10. silor

silor Sea Dragon

wow niceest comment I have seen in a while and agreed with ;D
    K ++ Peter

11. Kristiavi

Im not sure the wattage, but i kept the box so I can look later. But I think your right about the moonlight leds. There is a total of 4 bulbs on during the day and two at night. Thats funny about your first tank, the internet is a great resource although my learning everyone has a different opinion about everything

12. phongt86

phongt86 Bristle Worm

hello kristi welcome to FL

i want to join your club

i once live in MI for six months place called Warren about 30min from detroit. been in jacksonville for good while now. grew up in St. Augustine. I have girlfriend who will be my future wife one day, two dogs cacey and daisy and then my 75 gallon fishtank which i got for free.
    been doing this hobby for about 8 months and enjoy every minute of it its been a good learning experince. i still wake up early just to go look at my fish tank before i brush my teeth.
    Jacksonville is a boring place to live if you like the night life(am always home).

anyways hope you like this hobby its a fun one