Weird Xenia issue

Discussion in 'Coral' started by trying it again, Dec 21, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

About two to three weeks ago I added some frags,(Zoas, Mushrooms,Kenya tree). Everything was looking good, then three days ago the Xenia, which has been there for years looked like it was hit with weed killer and some of the Zoas closed, mushrooms an Toadstool are OK . Only thing I can think of is it might have something to do with the placement of the Kenya tree coral which was close to the Xenia and about 4in from one of the Zoas. I moved the Kenya tree (Which looks fine) to the other side of tank. I know corals can sting but do any release toxins???? because even stuff that wasn't near the Kenya tree, was looking a little off.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Yes they do release toxins but that may not b the issue.
    Have you added any phosphate remover or did a large water change?
    IME very clean water negatively affects Xenia.

trying it again likes this.
  4. trying it again

No big water changes , but have been improving on water quality. Changed about a gallon a day for the past week. Hope that's all it was. Fish look good.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Chemical warfare is something softies are good at. Run some carbon.

6. trying it again

[QUOTrunning"DSC reef, post: 1570956, member: 32947"]Chemical warfare is something softies are good at. Run some carbon.[/QUOTE]
    Been running some bio sorb, guess I'll add some carbon too. Should I just mix certain kinds that might not attack each other? Is there even such a method of doing so?

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

There are corals that do better together than others. Corals are fascinating animals though. I had numerous problems last year in my reef tank that affected my LPS and SPS that I could not figure out. Long story short, I removed my devils hand and my large yellow toadstool and everything went back to normal. I believe it was chemical warfare. Could be coincidence as there are several tanks that never have a problem. Definitely run carbon. I don't care what manufacturers claim, there is no substitute.

8. Click Here!

9. trying it again

OK,will do. Some Zoas kinda look open more today but the mother patch of Xenia is still iffy in spots. Hope by moving the Kenya things calm down with the warfare.
    Thanks all