weird thingy on rock

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by aquaboy, Aug 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

well i need an id asap. i cant get pics either cause this thing is too deep in the rock. but i will give an adequate description.

Right now it is a pink blob with two tubes extending off of it, these tubes are hollow and apparently so is this blob. i believe its a filter feeder of some sort and when i shine a light on it the tubes get short and close up.

Any one have any thing similiar. i personnally believe it may be a coral or invert of some type and wish not to kill it unless it is harmful, like aiptasia. the live rock its on is 2 months old if it may help. PLEASE HELP:worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :-/ :-/ :-X :-X :-X

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Relax, take a deep breath.

Does not sound like anything "dangerous" --- you are probably right, is some sort of filter feeder or sponge.

Hard to tell without pic.

1 person likes this.
  4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

either a scallop or more likely a tunicate sometimes called a sea squirt but squirts are more often in colonies.

1 person likes this.
  5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

thanks cause i heard of the infamous aiptasia and don't want to have an infestation considering this tank is kind of an experiment to prove 2 my mom that i can handle this kind of responsibility and if its not thriving, nor will my moms interest in allowing me to pursue this hobby. So GOD BLESS U ALL AT 3REEF;D ;D ;D ;D

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

after google imaging a sea squirt i have come t the conclusion that it is a sea squirt and i am glad that i asked the pros at this site. Karma for You guys!

7. rlcline76

rlcline76 Astrea Snail

I have the same thing and always thought it was a sea squirt. I think it is pretty nifty!

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

yeah it has all my family studying it. i found that they are very pretty when they grow up. i was just scared of aiptasiasin my tank! :p