Weird Gunk

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by klownh8er, Nov 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. klownh8er

klownh8er Plankton

No idea if this ever happen to you guys(and gals) but when I was cleaning my dry sand all this gunk went to the surface. It looked like a giant sponge... I thought sand sunk... but some of it floated to the top creating a nasty layer on top. Is this normal???

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Is this sand for salt water? One should always rinse dry sand real good before adding to the tank. Film , Cloudy water, etc.....

It should clear off after a few days tops I would think if you are surface skimming for filtration.

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=klownh8er link=board=ASAP;num=1100484963;start=0#0 date=11/14/04 at 18:16:02]No idea if this ever happen to you guys(and gals) but when I was cleaning my dry sand all this gunk went to the surface.  It looked like a giant sponge...  I thought sand sunk... but some of it floated to the top creating a nasty layer on top.  Is this normal???  [/quote]

LOL Now you know why you should always rinse the sand before adding it. Good job :)

John

5. klownh8er

klownh8er Plankton

Well now it's not as bad as last time... it's starting to clear up.  I got a freshwater stringray while buying the sand to ;D... will I ever learn to stop spending my money and learn to save up to help the reef??? :-[

also thanks for the karma birdlady ;D, what goes around comes around ;)