weird blasto behaviour?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by yheartsp, Sep 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

hi guys , i transferred my blastomussa to my new tank a week ago and it was always open and happy until today it didn't expand, which it is a first since the 3 months with me :confused: it is under 250w metal halides and placed in the middle, i know they dont like strong lights but the picture below shows the coral expanded and happy under same light and position, i'm confused :confused:

all other corals are great

[​IMG]

you can see the coral on the left mountain from this pic, is the positioning okay?

[​IMG]

my green precious not expanding =(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I wouldn't worry unless it has been weeks since it hasn't expanded. One day is nothing. Corals go through natural stages of polyp extension and retraction and it's just something to get used to. At any given time my bubble coral is as open as can be. But once in awhile for whatever reason it just....closes up. Same goes with pretty much all of my corals. It's just the way it is and you needn't worry.

1 person likes this.
  4. yheartsp

it's so weird.. it's been 3 days already. my parameters are all good. i mean if it's the lighting.. then it would expand when the actinics are on and retract when MH's are on , so i guess it's not the position. what's the longest your corals went thru the retraction period?:-/

5. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

It was under the new lighting for a full week before this started?

6. yheartsp

hmm.. actually it was good for 3 days, after that i was away for 3 days but lights and everything was on timer, i came back ( the 6th day after lights came ) and it was in this condition. you think it's still acclimating?

anyway thanks soo much for replying, i really appreciate it, it's my mom's fav coral and she's very worried =)

7. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Try moving it to the bottom of the tank and see what happens. Yes it's probably still acclimating. What kind of lighting was it under before it was put under the 250w halides?

8. Click Here!

9. yheartsp

it was under 4x 24w T5HO , 2 ati aquablues and 2 ati actinics. it was doing good at the top of the tank ..

but if it's the lighting, wouldn't it expand under actinics? :confused:

10. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Not necessarily, no. Especially if it's had a chance to "learn" the light cycle. It "knows" the bright lights will be coming on so it just stays closed until it can acclimate.

Strange as that may sound, I know. But my corals seem to "know" my light cycle because a couple months ago when I turned off my lights for a few days, at first they started to act like normal until they "realized" the lights weren't coming on after all.

Move it to the bottom and see what happens in a couple days.

11. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

The briareum I got almost 3 weeks ago just started opening up about 1-1 1/2 weeks ago so it took about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks to open. I was just getting ready to toss it and cut my losses, LOL.

12. yheartsp

ah alright, it's a PITA to place my corals at the bottom as my tank is 30 inches deep, but i'll do that :)

shame, i liked the current position, it looks great there, thanks !