Weird Behavior

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by techno2, Aug 27, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

[​IMG] My Lemonpeel Angelfish has started to act different than previosly.
    This fish used to swim around and be joyful, now it is hiding in weird places, swimming in circles, and just not looking the same.

Physically the fish looks great, good color not spots, ect.

Is there anything I should do ?

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Usually when a fish abruptly changes behavior, likely something in environment has changed...

have you changed food lately using a new kind?

Added any new fish that may be intimating him?

Check water params carefully?

I would do a big water change in event some kind of buildup of trace elements that you don't normally test for.

:-/ Good Luck.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Do you have a ground probe in the tank?? My blennie started doing the same thing and then I tested for stray voltage and found 28v in the tank water. If you run and submersible pumps then you probably have voltage in the tank.

5. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Omard,
    No changes recently. I am about a week after a large change which was after a bout of Ich. I test params every day, and the only change is about a month ago my PH has gone from 8.4 to 8.6+., This I am working to resolve somehow because my guess is that it is actually higher than that as my base reading went from 7.0 to 7.6. I suspect I am at 9.0. I stopped the Purple up dosing until I can check for Iodine levels.

Otty,
    I will certainly check, Umm but how , standard volt meter? I am running three submersible wave makers.

Thanks

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Voltage is good thing to check for. But may be nothing more then fish telling you it wants something else to eat.

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Take your volt meter and put one probe in the ground plug on the wall and one in the water and set the meter on AC. The screw in the middle of the wall plate should also be grounded if the house was wired right. With that many PH's in the water I bet you have voltage. I had the same problem on my 55 gal when I put a wave maker in. My 265 has all external motors but I still run a ground probe, they are under $20 and it's insurance well spent.

8. Click Here!

9. njdevilsfan

njdevilsfan Flamingo Tongue

run a poly filter pad along with carbon until you figure out if you have stay voltage it cant hurt

1 person likes this.
  10. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

OK, So what your telling me is to connect one end to the outlet and one end to the water!!! Now I am not an electrician but that just sounds wrong at soo many levels..

Are you sure this isnt just some newbie hazing or something?

11. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

If you had ich in the tank did you treat it in the tank? If so did the treatment have copper in it, if so this could be your problem. Any time you treat for a disease it should be in a seperate tank. Do you run carbon, carbon should be run 24/7 IMO. I would also suggest placing a grounding probe in the tank as it is one of the most important additions to your tank. Could you please update your signature whic equipment, tanks specs, livestock, this will allow us to help u better.

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You are testing with a meter not with a load (electricity). All you are doing is just like testing a battery. You put on probe on neutral (ground) and one on positive (tank water). I'm not telling to you connect it to the outlet only the ground of the outlet. Just use the center screw that holds the face plate on the outlet and then put the other end in the tank. If your that confused and worried about it I would just get a ground probe and put it in the water. What's $20 when you are storing $100's of coral and fish in your tank..:-/

1 person likes this.