weir overflow/sump help please

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by chrisg, May 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chrisg

chrisg Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi all, I haven't been on the site for awhile. We worked really hard (my husband that is) on a sump for my 72g and a weir overflow. We were very excited to have it finished and running. Problem is, no matter how hard we try we can't seem to get the water levels stable. It's always coming in a little too fast or a little slow. We have to watch it constantly. I'll try to give you the info you need, to maybe see if you can help us out. First of all, the sump is only 10 gal. I know it should be bigger, but it is all we could fit in the cabinet. We have 3 sections with the skimmer in the middle. The skimmer is a Marine Pro Series 100. We have a 1" tube with a 1" ball valve coming from the Weir to the sump. The pump is 600L/hour with a 3/4" return tube back up to the tank. The ball valve is a plumbing type valve and hard to adjust. The slightest amount of a turn makes a huge difference in the flow. It never seems to remain stable. I know all you geniuses (hows that for kissin' up?:kiss: ) can help me figure this out. It's driving us crazy! What else can I tell you that would help. Thanks so much for your help in advance. Sorry about the long post.

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

The overflow should not be restriced for normal operation. Whatever water gravity brings down to the sump, the return pump will send it back. The only restriction you may want is on the return line between the pump and the tank. If the pump fills the tank faster than the water can drain down the overflow, then cut back the valve between the pump and the tank to slow down the flow back into the tank. The water should never end up overfilling the tank or the sump, or something with your setup is seriously wrong.

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Since the cutouts in the tank's overflow dictates the water level in the aquarium, that level should never vary. The return pump should dictate the speed at which everything flows in your sump/tank combination. As bogie stated, you should not have to, nor should you want to vary the flow coming from the display into the sump. If any adjustment is needed (which should not be necessary) adjust the flow from the sump's return pump to the display tank.

If the sump is filling too fast, the overflow is too large (not your situation).

If the display tank water level is rising, your return pump is too strong.

In a perfect world, the return pump is matched to the capability of both the overflow from the DT to the sump; and the plumbing from the sump to the DT.

In my experience, these valves are difficult to regulate.

[​IMG]

Consider one of these instead:

[​IMG]

Could you explain what specifically is happening in your scenario?

5. chrisg

You guys are great. The water in the pump section sometime will get too low. When barely adjusted, the DT will get to low and the pump section gets too high. It never seems to find a level to maintain. Never can go more than a day, at best, without adjusting it one way or the other. When the pump section gets too high, it obviously raises everything and it is then too high for the skimmer. I hope that helps.

6. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Most likely your overflow and return pump are improperly matched. You may consider getting the regulating valve off the overflow, and placing the right type on the return line.

That will probably solve your problem.

Good luck! :)

7. chrisg

Thanks, Reef and Bogie. I appreciate your help. We'll give it a try and see what happens. Obviously this is our first try at this. Thanks again.

8. Click Here!

9. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

The valve ReefSparky is referring too is a Gate valve, just though a name would help, because I have tried to desciribe stuff to the people at the hardware store and it never ends good lol.

Jake

10. chrisg

Thanks Jake. Good thinking. I know exactly what you mean.

11. airtruck

airtruck Astrea Snail

you should have the valve on the return from the pump not on the tank side, also a 1" weir will flow about 500 gph+/- depending on where your stand pipe cuts in, are we talking pvc or lexan weir?

12. chrisg