Weight of a tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Rhoads238, Apr 28, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

Hey All,

I've been doing some daydreaming about upgrading my 60 gallon cube for a couple of weeks and i was thinking of going for something in the realm of a 180 gallon display tank with something like a 30 - 50 gallon sump. The dimentions i am thinking about are 48"L x 36"W x 24"H, setup as a peninsula. I would imagine that the total setup weight will be just over 2000 lbs. This makes me wonder if my floor can handle that much weight. I currently live in a condo that has a concrete floor with a floating wood floor on top of it. Do any of you have a large tank on floor like this? or do people generally pull up their floor to put the tank directly on the concrete.

Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. Armydog

Armydog Astrea Snail

I had a 155 bow with a 40g sump no issue on the top floor of my house.

Imo with a concrete floor you should be fine but Im sure some others will chime in

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Generally floors (not concrete ones) don't even have to be reinforced until you get up into the 210-220g tank size. Concrete should be fine handling what you plan.

5. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

I guess you could say that i am more concerned about damaging the wood floor that is on top of the concrete. Does anyone think that the wood floor will be damaged from that much weight?

6. Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics 3reef Sponsor

Are you worried about the wood compressing and leaving a permanent dent?

What kind of wood is it, do you know?

Some wood floors are softer than others, and there is a possibility of denting, but you would have to have rather small feet that would result in a high pounds per square inch. If you use just about any type of spread-footing, doubling the dimensions would 1/4 the lb/sqin. So if you had 1"x1" 'feet' compared to 2"x2" 'feet'.

If you had only the end of a 2x4 in each corner, that's 8 sq in per foot, 32 sq in total, 2000/32 = 62.5 lb per sq in, that's no concern whatsoever for any type of wood flooring

Rhoads238 likes this.
  7. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

Thanks Turbo. Thats helpful. Yes I'm worried about damaging the floor by denting or bending the floor, especially in such a way that the tank doesn't sit level and could compromise the stand. I know that the floor is an engineered hardwood but thats about all i know about it, I'm going to try to find some more information about our floors and also take into consideration the footings for the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics 3reef Sponsor

Engineered hardwood floors are usually thick enough and strong enough to support a tank that size, easily.

Even if you had a stand that had small feet, placing a 4" x 4" square of 3/4" thick laminated plywood (not particle/chip board or MDF) would act as a sufficient "spread footing" I would think