we need a sticky for suitable bottled water

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Onjinsan, Dec 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

I don't have an RO/DI unit yet. And will have to depend on alternate water sources for a while. Today I purchsed a bottle of Hinckley Springs purified water for top offs. The label says:

Purified by reverse osmosis and/or distillation, filtered and ozonated to ensure quality. Contains purified water with selected minerals (potassium bicarbonate, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride)dded for taste. Mineral amounts are not nutritionally significant.

It listed an 800 number, so I called and asked if copper was used anywhere in the process, he said no. I highly doubt if lead is used because the problems with it are so widely known.

If someone here had a mind to we could start testing bottled waters and posting the results. What would we need to test for?

In the past (10 years ago) I had used filter cartridges that you attach to the spigot, but the nitrates (from farm runoff) and phosphates are so high in this area they just burned the cartridges out after 20 gal or so. The cartridges cost about $25 each it wasn't cost effective.

I also question if an RO/DI unit won't have the same down fall as the cartridges, that is they will burn out quickly.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Uhmm, I think any distilled or purified water(dont know about cartridges) should be fine;)

4. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

I don't think you want to use water with chlorides in it. At my local Savemart they sell gallon jugs of RO water--maybe one of the big chain grocers near you does too. The jugs I have used say nothing about trace minerals. Not the most cost effective method but if you don't have a water store handy then it should work temporarily.

As for filters for RO/DI units, they do need to be replaced occasionally. Frequency will depend on how you use the unit (how often, and the rate at which you produce clean water) and the condition of the tap water being inputted. However, with your 30g, you won't have to make that much water so your filter should last a while.

5. nanoreefer555

Distilled water might have copper in it from the distillation plumbing.:(

6. IBMGeek

From water jugs/gallons:confused: I know old school home distillers had copper pipes but I taught it was safe since most I think are stainless steel now. Ill do some research.

edit: Just read on another forum of people using distilled. 0 TDS and safe.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

IMO there is no bottled water that's safe. I wouldn't be using the water you have listed at top; IMO treated tap would be better. Or, get it from the RO/DI machines that are set-up at some stores that you bottle yourself.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

In the long run, I believe an RO/Di unit will benefit you in the long run and be cheaper. The one I have isn't expensive and works great. It's called the mighty mite from airwaterice.com. It was $100 with all filters. Should last about 2 years, depends on how you use it.

10. IBMGeek

I dont understand how treated tap can be better than bottled water:confused: Unless you mean having an Rodi.

11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

You would be surprised at what is allowable in "bottled water". Poke around this site for a while.
    International Bottled Water Association Website
    Just because it's OK to drink means nothing. Even "labeled" RO machines and from the bottle. Imagine what TDS levels are allowed before they are legally required to change filters. This isn't even counting fluoride, minerals and, whatever else.
    And the grocery store machines? They are probably privately owned/maintained. Whoops! "Couldn't make it to store #563 today, Billy called in sick. Maybe, we will get to it next week".;)

12. nanoreefer555

I think the only way to know for sure that you are safe is to use RO/DI. There is some risk involved in anything else.