Way to safely lower Salinty levels

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by leighton1245, Dec 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Well i made a huge rookie mistake the other night cause i was in a hurry. When I picked up my coral I needed some water so i got some at the LFS and now my salinty level is at 1.029 how much can I safely lower it without killing everything in my tank? Also would there be any adverse effects on my tank?

Thanks in advance just worreid cause my nems are acting wierd they condy so im sure they will survivie but dont wanna kill them either lol

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Going down in salinity is much safer than going up IMO. Just slowly add some RO/DI water over 2 or 3 hours. You should not see any negative results as long as you do it slowly and your measurng device is accurate.

4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

thanks for the reply so i can take it from 1.029 all the way down to 1.026 in just hours?

Also should I worry about anythign with my new frag I got a GSP and birds nest frags they have been in there for 2 days like that?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Shoot for 1.027 today. Just do it over several hours.

While 1.029 is not what you want for a SG, it is not that bad either. If you start to see some negative effects just go slower.

Negative effect such as the corals slimming, anemones gapping.

1 person likes this.