Wave Point vs Coralife T5HO

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by chevmaro, Dec 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chevmaro

chevmaro Plankton

So I got a gift card for Christmas to my LFS and I want to purchase lights for my tank. My tank is 36x18x21 it is a 58 Oceanic. My LFS Carry's Wave Point and Coralife. Not a lot of options but I can get a good deal with the gift card. Would you recommend either of these fixtures for my tank? The two I am looking at are these ones:

Product Details

High Output T5 Fixtures

Thanks for the help.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

Buy the Wavepoint it has a better reflector design. I do not know what quality the bulbs are but if it comes with them I would get new ones no later than the 6 months mark of use.

Buy ATI, KZ, UVL or Geisemann bulbs as replacements.

4. chevmaro

chevmaro Plankton

Thanks for the reply I have been researching these units for days. Thats why I decided to join 3reef.

Have yous seen the Coralife Reflector? It has 3 plugs, Lunar Lights and fans which I like. The Wave Point is one plug and no fans. Those are perks for me but not necessary i guess.

I wanted a 6 bulb but this LFS doesnt have any. I can ship stuff in but it gets really expensive and I have $200 in gift cards. Should I use them for something else and just buy a tek fixture online? Or should I get a 4 Bulb and 2 Bulb Wavepoint fixture?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think the reflector on the Coralife is flat. You want formed or individual reflectors to get the most out of the bulbs.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

My tank is a 75 gallon that measures 45x18x21 and a 4 bulb unit is perfect. I would suggest getting the Tek Elite and use the gift cards for something else like live stock if you trust the LFS.

7. chevmaro

chevmaro Plankton

Alright. I'll get the wavepoint then. Do you think one 4 bulb fixture is enough? Or should I get a 4 bulb and a 2 bulb running 2 fixtures?

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would do the 4 bulb first and see if you need more light to keep your corals alive.

10. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

I think 4 is plenty, but if your really wanting a 6 light fixture can your LFS order one in? MY store doesnt keep much of equipment like stuff in stock, but can pretty much order just about anything I want.

11. chevmaro

chevmaro Plankton

I asked and he said he can get icecap stuff but that was expensive. A 4 bulb retro with 660 was going to be 350 plus shipping and that didnt include bulbs. I am going to go back when the owner is there and talk to him he seems to always be more helpfull. I might just get the wavepoint it would be free to me with the giftcard and I could get some decent bulbs online.

12. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

The wavepoint one is probably fine, I have a 4 bulb fixture also, over my 72 gallon works great