Wave making I guess

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Brian_B47, Oct 25, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brian_B47

Brian_B47 Astrea Snail

This weekend I decided to put my return pump on a timer. Keeping it on for 21hrs of the day. I turn it off at a random 3hrs. a day.

I'd like to hear anyone opinion, and maybe some suggestions on how to time it.

I didn't mention it's on a digital 14 position timer ::)

2. Click Here!

3. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

All I know is your pump the MD-30RLXT costs 209 bucks.
    Is it rated for pulse type circulation? Or are you just turning it off for a solid 3 hours at a time. Also I have read that if you lose power and the water sits in your filter for more than a hour than the filter van leach out nitrates and such causing a large spike that might kill your fish when the water is again pumped into your tank. Again this is just stuff that I have read and I have no experiance with it. I never believe what I have read till it happens or someone with some clout here says it is so.

Jay

4. Brian_B47

Brian_B47 Astrea Snail

No Jay, those are some vary good points. Most important is the nitrate point. If others feel the same way then I'll stop this timer thing on my return pump.

But to answer the pump question. I set it up to stop 1 hr in the morning, then 2hrs in the night. I was trying to simulate a tide. :-/

5. Brian_B47

Brian_B47 Astrea Snail

I'd like to bounce this back to the top of the recent list and see if there are others with an opinion

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I don't know that 3 hours of stagnation is enough to cause major spikes. I wouldn't think so. But I could be wrong.

If your intent is tidal surges you have sump options, but some are rather complicated. COOL though!

Check out: Martin Moe's Variable Level Dynamic Aquarium System. or Algae Turf Scrubbers.

A SWCD device might be easier if your pump isn't too strong.

7. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Brian I am going to be ordering a SCWD from Marine Depot they are on sale for $29.21. If you want I will order you one and we can split the shipping.

BTW, I personally wouldn't shut my main pump off for 3 hours. If you are going to do this I would do it with your powerheads.

8. Click Here!

9. Brian_B47

Brian_B47 Astrea Snail

Nope, I won't do that again. Yesterday after Jay mentioned the nitrate problem, I was in my apartment when the pump came on. The stuff that was kicked up. It took 30 min for my tank to clear up.

Matt I'm on my way to check out that article, I am interested in surge control. ;)