Wave maker using Windshield Wiper delay relay?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Dyngoe, Dec 13, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

OK, I was driving in the rain yesterday and it hit me,"Why couldn't I use a windshield wiper delay to build a DIY wavemaker?" Has anyone thought of this or tried it? I have enough 12V converters sitting around, so I can power it. I'm assuming I can just run it through a relay then for my 110V pump.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That sounds cool as hell!

4. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

if you are going to do it, go all the way...just use the windshield wipers in the tank for the wave device... :)

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

hahah.. that would something.

6. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

I saw I DIY where he put the relay behind the tank and then using gears attached it to a powerhead, so the powerhead swayed back and forth with the delay. I think a hydor attachment would be cheaper and more practical but it would take up less room. I like the idea of using something like blades to move the water instead of powerheads, that would be cool!

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

A high Toque slow speed motor like a 12v wiper motor would run maybe a week 24/7 until motor from heat and or gear failure happened they are not a continual duty motor . Not to mention the 120 ac to 12v D.C converter would have to supply about 30amp or the motor will die faster from heat or a burned opened winding.. Look at the fuse in you car for the wipers one of the highest draw in the block..

8. Click Here!

9. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Party Pooper!!!!!!!
    lol, its awesome to have someone like you around, it avoids you the headaches!!!

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I don't mean to poop on anyones party But I have broken everything there is one time or the other LOL Like with the latest greatest idea of putting a propeller on a maxi jet LOL Its like taking the balance weights off of a drive shaft on a car it vibrations on a propeller with a rinky dink shaft like they try to use you get the vibrations then you get cavatations from the prop. A double whammy LOL I'm still not sold on the 350.00 ones yet.. After racing APBA offshore boats I know what propeller little shaft wiggle at high RPM will do and how cavatations will kill them also.

11. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Yeah, we all know you know your stuff about electricity and motors!!!
    i would have never thought of puttin propellors on a maxijet!!LOL

12. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

If you look at the tunze nanostream (see my review). Thats basically what it is, a propeller on a shaft. It does vibrate more that a regular PH but its not that bad. Maybe tunze figured out how to tweak it not to break down or cause cavatation.

Marc.