Watts per Gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Oct 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a 5000K 18 watt flourscent tube on my 36 gallon tank.

This gives me .5 to 1 watt per gallon.

I was reading where natural sunlight may be used to supplement my lack of light.I do 2 water changes per week, inject CO2 & fertilize.

My aquarium gets the weak easterly sun.

What are your thoughts ? Could I try it & keep a close watch on the algae ?

Oceansurf

2. Click Here!

3. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

your talking about freshwater right? and im not sure of your exact question. you really only need to do one water change a week for the tank. dont over do it when you feed your algae will be completely managable.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It's a bit harder to measure the amount of sunlight. I think you asked this in another thread about lighting your discus tank, or am I incorrect, OS?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator Staff Member

You want a round 2 watts per gallon to keep most plants. With your current light you can only have Anubias, Cryptocorynes, Java fern and mosses.

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

gotta tell you co2 injection is useless for under 3wpg.

8. Click Here!

9. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

Fire Shrimp, my tank is a 36 gallon fresh water discus tank. I clean it twice a week because discus are very fussy when it comes to a clean tank.

Yes, Black Raven, I did write a similar post. That was before I discovered that, with a 5000K , 18 watt flourscent tube, my tank was getting from .5 to 1 watt / gallon. Then when I read this article, I learned that I can supplement my light with my easterly sunlight. Some warned me of algae bloom & green water, but I monitor my aquariums closely. As one of the monitors said to me, try it. You'll never know, if you don't.

I am stocking my aquarium tonight with 2 more discus, 7 cardinal tetras & some plants. I am hoping that the sunlight will allow me to get some plants requiring some medium & high light.I have only 2 siamese algae eaters. I may need a couple more of those too.

Thanks for your interest & your comments. That's why I love this site !