water vs ice

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by reef_guru, Dec 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

which is more of a solid water or ice?

1. water

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. ice

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

the answer is:

water

2. Click Here!

3. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

Care to give an explanation as to why you decided that the answer is water? I think that science suggests otherwise.JMO

4. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

[​IMG]

5. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

While water is more dense, each state of matter has certain characteristics. Water meets the characteristics of a liquid while ice meets those of a solid. While it is the norm for solids to be more dense, the density is not a part of the characteristics.

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Looking at a molecular level, water is more of a solid, because the molecules in water are closer together than in ice, which is a defining characteristic of a solid over a liquid.

Looking at a down to earth physical naked eye level, ice is, because you can't swim in it. It hurts to fall down on. Therefore, it is more solid than water.

So, the answer to the quesion "Which is more solid, ice or water?" is Yes.

7. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

However, liquids do not have defined shape which is water. On a molecular scale solids molecules are rigid and vibrate, but do not move around. They have a definite arrangement. Liquid molecules slide around each other and have no definite pattern. Really, according to properties of the states of matter, molecular and otherwise, ice is solid and water is liquid.

8. Click Here!

9. Surf rider

Surf rider Bristle Worm

Ah, we need a better definition of water. First which is more plentiful, salt water or fresh water? (don't forget the ice) And then once you answer that, the entire question changes as salt water can be much colder than ice and very, very liquid.

10. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I don't think temperature has much to do with it. I think it has to do with how the molecules in the substance are acting. Salt is a modifier that can alter how the substance acts.

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

even though water is denser, it isn't a solid. to be a solid there must be a stable structure.

this question is like which is a better board game grand theft auto 4 or battleship?

yea grand theft auto is a better game but its a video game not a board game. so battleship must win by default.

the question isn't which one is denser.

edit: btw my answer was ice if you couldn't guess from my post

12. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

I feel like this is going in one big circle. No need to reiterate the facts that have already been stated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.